Who We Are: CAMBA is a community of staff, volunteers, clients, donors, neighbors and partners who work together to build an inclusive New York City, where all children and adults have access to the resources and supports they need to thrive. We take a comprehensive approach by offering more than 160 integrated programs in: Education & Youth Development, Family Support, Job Training & Employment Support Services, Health, Housing, and Legal Services. We reach more than 65,000 individuals and families each year at our 90 locations, including 10,000 youth. CAMBA serves a diverse cross section of New Yorkers from new mothers in Brownsville to job seekers in the Rockaways. More than half of our clients are immigrants and refugees from around the globe. Over 85% of our families are in living in poverty, reflecting the challenges faced by nearly 1.7 million New Yorkers today.
CAMBA’s Violence Prevention and Intervention Services program seeks an Adult Health Educator for its Enough is Enough Initiative. The Enough is Enough Law (New York State Education Law 129-B) was signed into law by Governor Cuomo in July 2015. The goal of the Enough is Enough Initiative requires all New York State Colleges and Universities to adopt comprehensive policies, procedures and guidelines to address the prevention of and response to campus sexual assault, intimate partner/dating violence and stalking. Enough is Enough is funded by the New York State Office for the Prevention of Domestic Violence which supports programs’ efforts in providing prevention of sexual violence and direct victim services on campuses across the State.
Position: Adult Health Educator
Reports To: Program Manager
Location: 955 Flatbush Ave, Brooklyn, New York 11226
What The Adult Health Educator Does:
- Maintain Memorandum of Understanding and Service Agreements with at least three college and university campuses annually in Kings County, Brooklyn.
- Provide assistance to colleges and universities in New York State to implement policies and procedures under the Enough is Enough Initiative concerning the response to and the prevention of sexual assault, dating violence, domestic violence and stalking on campuses.
- Develop and maintain a substantial presence on college and university campuses.
- Facilitate a series of educational workshops and one-time presentation on the prevention of sexual assault and services available to students, faculty and staff.
- Implement an evidence-based curriculum (Bringing in the Bystander) to students including fraternities, Greek life and Resident Aids.
- Provide individual crisis assessment and referral assistance to students and/or their families to achieve effective personal development and adjustment.
- Plan and implement special outreach and tabling events including a focus on Sexual Assault Awareness Month; Crime Victims’ Rights Week; and Domestic Violence Awareness Month.
Minimum Education/ Experience Required:
Bachelor’s degree in Social Work, Psychology, or other human services related field with a minimum of one year’s experience working with victim survivors of rape and sexual assault and intimate partner/dating violence.
- Knowledge of the dynamics and issues of rape, sexual assault, and domestic violence.
- Knowledge of community resources, experience in community education or training and an understanding of victimization, and group work.
- Computer literate and knowledge of Microsoft Word a plus.
CAMBA is a City contractor that provides services where employees can be expected to physically interact with members of the public. All CAMBA staff are subject to the City’s October 21, 2021 COVID-19 Vaccine Mandate, whether they have direct involvement with members of the public, or they support others who have direct involvement.
All new hires must provide proof of vaccination against the COVID-19 virus, unless they have been granted a reasonable accommodation for religious or medical reasons. If you are offered employment at CAMBA, this requirement must be met by your date of hire, unless a reasonable accommodation is received and approved by CAMBA.