Who We Are: CAMBA is a community of staff, volunteers, clients, donors, neighbors and partners who work together to build an inclusive New York City, where all children and adults have access to the resources and supports they need to thrive. We take a comprehensive approach by offering more than 160 integrated programs in: Education & Youth Development, Family Support, Job Training & Employment Support Services, Health, Housing, and Legal Services. We reach more than 65,000 individuals and families each year at our 90 locations, including 10,000 youth. CAMBA serves a diverse cross section of New Yorkers from new mothers in Brownsville to job seekers in the Rockaways. More than half of our clients are immigrants and refugees from around the globe. Over 85% of our families are in living in poverty, reflecting the challenges faced by nearly 1.7 million New Yorkers today.
CAMBA’s Youth Making Health a Priority 2.0 (YMHP 2.0) aims to reduce transmission of HIV among young men who have sex with men (YMSM) ages 13-29, including those who identify as transgender or gender nonconforming, with a focus on communities of color in Brooklyn. YMHP will use a strength-based, youth development approach to provide culturally competent and comprehensive prevention and support services, including: client recruitment through enhanced and new media outreach; health education and risk reduction counseling; linkage to HIV, STD, and HCV testing and screening; linkage, navigation, and retention to care; linkage to supportive services; and workforce development services. The workforce development services will be embedded within social activities that are planned, managed, and led by LGBTQ+ youth and young adults of color. YMHP will provide services to at least 300 participants
Position: Client Advocate I
Reports To: Program Manager
Location: 1259 Flatbush Avenue, Brooklyn, NY 11226
What The Client Advocate Does:
- Prepare marketing materials for the program.
- Conduct outreach activities at high risk venues to market the program in order to recruit new clients and re-engage former clients.
- Follow-up with clients and with referral organizations regarding client contact and progress with referral organization.
- In collaboration with program staff, work with clients to break through barriers to client goals and to assist clients in advocating for themselves and in moving toward self-sufficiency.
- Contact clients via telephone, mail and/or face-to-face home and office visits to ensure adherence to program, and document via progress notes.
- Escort clients to appointments (educational, medical, social service, etc.).
- Provide all required information for weekly/monthly/quarterly/annual reports.
- Create and maintain client files and make copies of all client documents.
- Conduct pre- and post-intervention assessments of client’s knowledge, attitudes, and behaviors regarding HIV risk.
- May plan, coordinate and facilitate social/peer support events, including group facilitation for clients.
- May evaluate actual living conditions of clients through home visits.
- May prescreen clients over the telephone for eligibility and may schedule intake appointments.
- May assist clients in completing all CAMBA intake applications and forms.
- May schedule appointments for client with referral organizations.
- May assist clients in completing applications for benefits and entitlements, and may process applications on clients’ behalf.
- May input client data and client progress information into automated database.
- May follow-up with clients for a period of time after successful completion of their primary goals to assure client stability.
- Tasks may be modified, expanded and/or assigned over time.
MINIMUM EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- High School diploma or G.E.D. and/or equivalent experience; College degree preferred
- Knowledge about, understanding of, and ability to work closely with, persons with HIV/AIDS and related issues.
- Bi-lingual English/Spanish
Compensation: $40,000 annually
Status: Full-time (35 hours per week)
Benefits: CAMBA offers a comprehensive benefits package including health insurance, dental insurance, 403(b) retirement plan with employer match, paid time off (vacation, personal, and sick time), and paid holidays.