Who We Are: CAMBA is a community of staff, volunteers, clients, donors, neighbors and partners who work together to build an inclusive New York City, where all children and adults have access to the resources and supports they need to thrive. We take a comprehensive approach by offering more than 160 integrated programs in: Education & Youth Development, Family Support, Job Training & Employment Support Services, Health, Housing, and Legal Services. We reach more than 65,000 individuals and families each year at our 90 locations, including 10,000 youth. CAMBA serves a diverse cross section of New Yorkers from new mothers in Brownsville to job seekers in the Rockaways. More than half of our clients are immigrants and refugees from around the globe. Over 85% of our families are in living in poverty, reflecting the challenges faced by nearly 1.7 million New Yorkers today.
97 Crooke Avenue (Reverend Dan Ramm Residence) is a building which was developed and is operated by CAMBA Housing Ventures (CHV), an initiative to develop affordable housing for persons with low income and/or with special needs living in Brooklyn and New York City. 97 Crooke Ave opened in March 2012 and provides 53 units of affordable/supportive housing building in the Flatbush section of Brooklyn. CAMBA, Inc. is the on-site services provider at 97 Crooke Avenue. The social services staff is responsible for providing case management and supportive services to the 32 low-income individuals who are seriously and persistently mentally ill and who exited the shelter system. The remaining 20 units are occupied by community residents, who may require some services, and a live in super resides in the final unit.
Position: Case Manager
Reports To: Program Manager
Location: 97 Crooke Ave, Brooklyn, NY, 11226
What The Case Manager Does:
- Aid individuals and/or families requiring social service assistance.
- Interview and evaluate tenants and formulate Independent living plans, and locate/provide access to appropriate community resources for tenants.
- Review all documentation establishing tenants’ eligibility for the program and make file copies.
- Create and maintain tenant files.
- Conduct initial intake and assessment of tenants and tenants’ families’ needs and periodic re-assessments.
- In collaboration with tenants, prepare initial and periodic revisions of independent living plans including short-term and long-term tenant goals.
- Assist tenants in attaining their goals by identifying and locating community resources for tenants and by making referrals to appropriate services both within and outside CAMBA.
- Work with tenants to break through barriers to tenant goals and to assist tenants in advocating for themselves and in moving toward self-sufficiency.
- Recommend and implement strategies to persuade tenants to participate more fully in this process.
- Monitor tenants’ progress toward their goals via regularly scheduled telephone contact and/or face-to-face visits, and document via progress notes.
- Participate in case conferences.
- Follow-up with tenants and with referral organizations regarding tenant contact and progress with referral organization.
- Provide all required information for weekly/monthly/quarterly/annual reports.
Minimum Education/Experience Required:
- Bachelor’s degree (e. g., B.A., B.S.W.) and experience working with the seriously and Persistently Mentally Ill (SPMI) population, and/or equivalent experience.
- Flexible hours may be needed occasionally to provide shift coverage until 8 pm.
CAMBA is a City contractor that provides services where employees can be expected to physically interact with members of the public. All CAMBA staff are subject to the City’s October 21, 2021 COVID-19 Vaccine Mandate, whether they have direct involvement with members of the public, or they support others who have direct involvement.
All new hires must provide proof of vaccination against the COVID-19 virus, unless they have been granted a reasonable accommodation for religious or medical reasons. If you are offered employment at CAMBA, this requirement must be met by your date of hire, unless a reasonable accommodation is received and approved by CAMBA.