Who We Are: CAMBA is a community of staff, volunteers, clients, donors, neighbors and partners who work together to build an inclusive New York City, where all children and adults have access to the resources and support they need to thrive. We take a comprehensive approach by offering more than 160 integrated programs in: Education & Youth Development, Family Support, Job Training & Employment Support Services, Health, Housing, and Legal Services. We reach more than 65,000 individuals and families each year at our 90 locations, including 10,000 youth. CAMBA serves a diverse cross-section of New Yorkers from new mothers in Brownsville to job seekers in the Rockaways. More than half of our clients are immigrants and refugees from around the globe. Over 85% of our families are in living in poverty, reflecting the challenges faced by nearly 1.7 million New Yorkers today.
The HomeBase Program provides case management and essential services to at-risk individuals and families in Brooklyn and Staten Island to prevent homelessness. Individuals and families receive services that help them overcome problems with public benefits, housing, education, health care and other issues that could impede their ability to maintain stable households. Positions with CAMBA’s HomeBase program are classified as essential under the direction of the Governor of New York State.
Position: Case Manager
Reports To: Supervisor
Location: Flexibility to rotate between our two Staten Island offices, located at:
- 120 Stuyvesant Place, Staten Island, NY 10301
- 209 Bay St., Staten Island, NY 10301
What the Case Manager Does:
The person filling this position is expected to:
- Interview and evaluate prospective clients for services using risk assessment tools, determine eligibility for services and conduct new client intake.
- Collaborate with clients on the development of service plans that align with each client’s short and long-term goals.
- Connect clients to available resources that reduce likelihood of homelessness, including public benefits, employment services, and legal services.
- Ensure housing meets habitability standards, and mediate between clients and landlords.
- Prepare and submit applications for benefits and entitlements as well as short-term financial assistance to resolve urgent housing matters.
- Frequently follow-up and document client progress while maintaining comprehensive and up-to-date paper and electronic case files in audit-ready condition.
Minimum Education/Experience Required:
- Bachelor’s degree and/or equivalent experience.
- Knowledge of, and experience with, New York City housing and public assistance systems preferred.
CAMBA is a City contractor that provides services where employees can be expected to physically interact with members of the public. All CAMBA staff are subject to the City’s October 21, 2021 COVID-19 Vaccine Mandate, whether they have direct involvement with members of the public, or they support others who have direct involvement.
All new hires must provide proof of vaccination against the COVID-19 virus, unless they have been granted a reasonable accommodation for religious or medical reasons. If you are offered employment at CAMBA, this requirement must be met by your date of hire, unless a reasonable accommodation is received and approved by CAMBA.