Who We Are: CAMBA is a community of staff, volunteers, clients, donors, neighbors and partners who work together to build an inclusive New York City, where all children and adults have access to the resources and supports they need to thrive. We take a comprehensive approach by offering more than 160 integrated programs in: Education & Youth Development, Family Support, Job Training & Employment Support Services, Health, Housing, and Legal Services. We reach more than 65,000 individuals and families each year at our 90 locations, including 10,000 youth. CAMBA serves a diverse cross section of New Yorkers from new mothers in Brownsville to job seekers in the Rockaways. More than half of our clients are immigrants and refugees from around the globe. Over 85% of our families are in living in poverty, reflecting the challenges faced by nearly 1.7 million New Yorkers today.
CAMBA’s Justice Involved Supported Housing Initiative (JISH) provides 30 units of scattered site supportive housing to homeless individuals with a probable mental health illness and/or a substance use disorder, with recent histories of cycling through the NYC criminal justice and shelter system. Three (3) units will be set aside for direct referrals for individuals entering an Alternative-to-Detention (ADT) and/or Alternative-to-Incarceration (ATI) program.
Position: Case Manager
Reports To: Program Manager
Location: 19 Winthrop Street, Brooklyn, NY 11225
What the Case Manager Does:
- Review all documentation establishing clients’ eligibility for program and make file copies.
- Assist clients in completing all CAMBA intake applications and forms.
- Create and maintain client files.
- Conduct initial intake or assessment of clients and clients’ families and/or periodic reassessments.
- Follow-up with clients and with referral organizations regarding client contact and progress with referral organization.
- Work with clients to break through barriers to client goals and to assist clients in advocating for themselves and in moving toward self-sufficiency.
- Recommend and implement strategies to persuade clients to participate more fully in this process.
- Monitor clients’ progress toward their goals (dates achieved) via regularly scheduled telephone contact and/or face-to-face home and office visits, and document via progress notes.
- Recommend closing of cases in which clients have: (a) achieved primary goals and have maintained stability for a period of months; or, (b) have not demonstrated a willingness to participate in the process (lost-to-service); or, (c) have become ineligible for services (e.g. moved out of area).
- Provide all required information for weekly/monthly/quarterly/annual reports.
- May plan, coordinate and facilitate social/peer support events, including group facilitation for clients.
- May evaluate actual living conditions of clients through home visit.
- May prepare marketing materials for the program.
- May input client data and client progress information into automated database.
- May reach out and market the program to the community in order to recruit clients.
- May prescreen clients over the telephone for eligibility and may schedule intake appointments.
- May act as client liaison/client advocate with outside organizations regarding such matters as education, healthcare, housing, legal issues, etc.
- May escort clients to appointments (educational, medical, social service, etc.)
Minimum Education/Experience Required:
- Bachelor’s degree in Social Work (B.S.W) or other human services field and at least one year (1) years of applicable experience.
- Minimum of one (1) year of experience providing enrollment in and coordination of public benefits, linkages to health/mental health services, social services, education/vocational programs and other needed services, counseling, and assistance with daily living skills.
- Effective communication skills and culturally and linguistically competent.
- Experience working with the justice involved population.
Compensation: – $45,000-$48,000 annually-
Status: –Full-time (35 hours per week)-
Benefits: CAMBA offers a comprehensive benefits package including health insurance, dental insurance, 403(b) retirement plan with employer match, paid time off (vacation, personal, and sick time), and paid holidays.