Who We Are: CAMBA is a community of staff, volunteers, clients, donors, neighbors and partners who work together to build an inclusive New York City, where all children and adults have access to the resources and supports they need to thrive. We take a comprehensive approach by offering more than 160 integrated programs in: Education & Youth Development, Family Support, Job Training & Employment Support Services, Health, Housing, and Legal Services. We reach more than 65,000 individuals and families each year at our 90 locations, including 10,000 youth. CAMBA serves a diverse cross section of New Yorkers from new mothers in Brownsville to job seekers in the Rockaways. More than half of our clients are immigrants and refugees from around the globe. Over 85% of our families are in living in poverty, reflecting the challenges faced by nearly 1.7 million New Yorkers today.
CAMBA Legal Services, Inc. (CLS) is the legal services arm of CAMBA, Inc. CLS provides free civil legal services to low-income New Yorkers in the areas of consumer law, foreclosure prevention, immigration, housing law, and domestic violence assistance. In addition to providing direct representation and providing legal advice and counsel to thousands of clients, CAMBA attorneys also engage in legislative advocacy, impact litigation in both state and federal court, provide community education and offer expert training on a wide range of issues, services that allow members of our community to improve their lives.
Position: Casehandling Paralegal
Location: 56 Bay Street, 5th Floor, Staten Island, NY 10301
What the Paralegal Does:
- Research the law.
- Investigate facts.
- Prepare documents to assist attorneys.
- Schedule and represent clients at administrative hearings (before the Office of Temporary and Disability Assistance and the New York City Housing Authority (Section 8), Homes and Community Renewal (HCR), etc.).
- Compile charitable packages and otherwise prevent evictions by working directly with clients and supporting the work of the housing attorneys.
- Assist clients in completing CLS intake applications and forms.
- Conduct legal intake and assessment of clients and clients’ families’ situations and needs, and enter all relevant data into the data system.
- May conduct home visits in order to perform intake and follow-up services.
- May assist clients in completing applications for fair hearings and other administrative proceedings.
- Process applications for charitable housing grants and conduct follow up.
Minimum Education/Experience Required:
- Associate’s Degree (A.A.) and two years applicable experience or Bachelor’s degree (B. A. or B.S.) and/or equivalent experience.
- Bilingual (Spanish/Haitian Creole) preferred.
Compensation: $47,807 – $74,736 annually
Status: Full-time (35 hours per week)
Benefits: CAMBA offers a comprehensive benefits package including health insurance, dental insurance, 403(b) retirement plan with employer match, paid time off (vacation, personal, and sick time), and paid holidays.
The support staff, law graduates, and staff attorneys at CAMBA Legal Services are unionized with the Association of Legal Aid Attorneys, UAW Local 2325 as the CAMBA Legal Services Workers Union.