Who We Are: CAMBA is a community of staff, volunteers, clients, donors, neighbors and partners who work together to build an inclusive New York City, where all children and adults have access to the resources and supports they need to thrive. We take a comprehensive approach by offering more than 160 integrated programs in: Education & Youth Development, Family Support, Job Training & Employment Support Services, Health, Housing, and Legal Services. We reach more than 65,000 individuals and families each year at our 90 locations, including 10,000 youth. CAMBA serves a diverse cross section of New Yorkers from new mothers in Brownsville to job seekers in the Rockaways. More than half of our clients are immigrants and refugees from around the globe. Over 85% of our families are in living in poverty, reflecting the challenges faced by nearly 1.7 million New Yorkers today.
CAMBA Legal Services, Inc. (CLS) is the legal services arm of CAMBA, Inc. CLS provides free civil legal services to low-income New Yorkers in the areas of consumer law, foreclosure prevention, immigration, housing law, and domestic violence assistance. In addition to providing direct representation and providing legal advice and counsel to thousands of clients, CAMBA attorneys also engage in legislative advocacy, impact litigation in both state and federal court, provide community education and offer expert training on a wide range of issues, services that allow members of our community to improve their lives.
Position: Casehandling Paralegal
Locations: 20 Snyder Avenue, Brooklyn, NY 11226
56 Bay Street, Staten Island, NY 10301
241 37th Street, Brooklyn, NY 11232
What the Paralegal Does:
- Research the law.
- Investigate facts.
- Prepare documents to assist attorneys.
- Schedule and represent clients at administrative hearings (before the Office of Temporary and Disability Assistance and the New York City Housing Authority (Section 8), Homes and Community Renewal (HCR), etc.).
- Compile charitable packages and otherwise prevent evictions by working directly with clients and supporting the work of the housing attorneys.
- Assist clients in completing CLS intake applications and forms.
- Conduct legal intake and assessment of clients and clients’ families’ situations and needs, and enter all relevant data into the data system.
- May conduct home visits in order to perform intake and follow-up services.
- May assist clients in completing applications for fair hearings and other administrative proceedings.
- Process applications for charitable housing grants and conduct follow up.
Minimum Education/Experience Required:
- Associate’s Degree (A.A.) and two years applicable experience or Bachelor’s degree (B. A. or B.S.) and/or equivalent experience.
- Bilingual (Spanish/Haitian Creole) preferred.
The support staff, law graduates, and staff attorneys at CAMBA Legal Services are unionized with the Association of Legal Aid Attorneys, UAW Local 2325 as the CAMBA Legal Services Workers Union.
CAMBA is a City contractor that provides services where employees can be expected to physically interact with members of the public. All CAMBA staff are subject to the City’s October 21, 2021 COVID-19 Vaccine Mandate, whether they have direct involvement with members of the public, or they support others who have direct involvement.
All new hires must provide proof of vaccination against the COVID-19 virus, unless they have been granted a reasonable accommodation for religious or medical reasons. If you are offered employment at CAMBA, this requirement must be met by your date of hire, unless a reasonable accommodation is received and approved by CAMBA.