Who We Are: CAMBA is a community of staff, volunteers, clients, donors, neighbors and partners who work together to build an inclusive New York City, where all children and adults have access to the resources and supports they need to thrive. We take a comprehensive approach by offering more than 160 integrated programs in: Education & Youth Development, Family Support, Job Training & Employment Support Services, Health, Housing, and Legal Services. We reach more than 65,000 individuals and families each year at our 90 locations, including 10,000 youth. CAMBA serves a diverse cross section of New Yorkers from new mothers in Brownsville to job seekers in the Rockaways. More than half of our clients are immigrants and refugees from around the globe. Over 85% of our families are in living in poverty, reflecting the challenges faced by nearly 1.7 million New Yorkers today.
The Brooklyn YAS (Youth against Substance Misuse) is committed to creating community-level change that will reduce risk factors and promote protective factors that prevent substance misuse among lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and questioning/queer (LGBTQ+) and other youth in the neighborhoods of Crown Heights, Flatbush, East Flatbush, Wingate and Prospect-Lefferts Garden (Community Boards 9 and 17). The coalition represents a diverse array of members from different sectors that are invested in preventing or delaying substance use initiation among LGBTQ+ and other youth.
Position: Client Advocate I
Reports To: Supervisor I
Location: 1259 Flatbush Avenue, Brooklyn, NY 11226
What The Client Advocate Does:
- Maintain professional relationships with clients and client confidentiality.
- Practice Universal Precautions/Standard Protocol & Procedures.
- Comply with any and all Federal, State, City and CAMBA security and privacy polices intended to protect the security and privacy of individually identifiable health information.
- Maintain professional relationships with community partners and confidentiality of individuals engaged through outreach.
- Communicate effectively with coalition members, supervisors, and funders.
- Plan and organize program activities to maximize program contract’s goals and performance targets.
- Manage own time effectively.
- Participate in administrative and staff meetings as requested.
- Provide all required information for weekly/monthly/quarterly/semester/annual reports to CAMBA management and/or to funders.
- Prepare marketing materials for the program.
- Help prepare for and participate in monthly coalition meetings, including: communicating with coalition members; developing agendas; and taking meeting minutes.
- Participate in a Community Assessment, including: helping collect quantitative and qualitative data about the effects of family rejection on the health of LGBTQ+ youth and the prevalence and incidence of substance misuse among LGBTQ+ youth in the catchment area; conducting community mapping activities; and helping conduct interviews and focus groups with community opinion leaders, LGBTQ+ youth, and families.
- Based on the Community Assessment findings help to revise Action Plan.
- Help carry out activities in Action Plan, including but not limited to: conducting outreach and education to schools, agencies, and businesses to promote coalition activities; helping recruit coalition members; participating in social marketing training and contributing to the development of a coalition-related social marketing campaign.
- May have program responsibilities in addition to the above.
- Task may be modified, expanded and/or assigned over time.
Minimum Education/Experience Required:
- High School diploma or G.E.D. and/or equivalent experience.
- Knowledge and deep understanding of LGBTQ+ youth community.
- Experience working with LGBTQ+ youth, youth with substance abuse issues, and the ability to work closely with diverse communities.
Compensation: $20 per hour
Status: Part-time (15 hours per week)