Who We Are: CAMBA is a community of staff, volunteers, clients, donors, neighbors and partners who work together to build an inclusive New York City, where all children and adults have access to the resources and support they need to thrive. We take a comprehensive approach by offering more than 160 integrated programs in: Education & Youth Development, Family Support, Job Training & Employment Support Services, Health, Housing, and Legal Services. We reach more than 65,000 individuals and families each year at our 90 locations, including 10,000 youth. CAMBA serves a diverse cross-section of New Yorkers from new mothers in Brownsville to job seekers in the Rockaways. More than half of our clients are immigrants and refugees from around the globe. Over 85% of our families are in living in poverty, reflecting the challenges faced by nearly 1.7 million New Yorkers today.
CAMBA’s The Landing Family Shelter is funded by New York City Department of Homeless Services and offers families a supportive, structured therapeutic, safe, and drug-free facility. It provides comprehensive case management services to 169 families who are in a transitional residence program for homeless families. The three story facility has rooms of various sizes, common areas and provides on-site security and social services.
Position: Housing Specialist
Reports To: Senior Program Manager
Location: 94-00 Ditmars Blvd, East Elmhurst, NY 11369
What The Housing Specialist Does:
- Develop curriculum to address shelter residents’ Housing, Independent Living Skills and Entitlement related needs including, permanent housing search process and options.
- Develop a series of monthly Housing readiness workshops.D
- Provide individualized and group counseling on housing and entitlement related topics.
- Organize and schedule presentations by local “housing experts” and/or landlords.
- Establishing linkages with community-based organizations, realtors, brokers and landlords.
- Assist case managers to schedule appointments for client with referral organizations.
- Assist case managers to escort clients to appointments (apartment viewings, public benefits, educational, medical, social service, etc.).
- Assist clients in completing applications for benefits and entitlements, and may process applications on clients’ behalf.
Minimum Education/Experience Required:
- High school diploma or G.E.D and two years of applicable experience and/or equivalent experience.
- Must obtain State Central Registry (SCR) clearance, The Register of Substantiated Category One Cases of Abuse or Neglect aka Staff Exclusion List (SEL) clearance and Criminal history information checks via fingerprinting with New York State Division of Criminal Justice Services prior to start of employment.
- Ability to maintain clearances throughout the duration of employment.
CAMBA is a City contractor that provides services where employees can be expected to physically interact with members of the public. All CAMBA staff are subject to the City’s October 21, 2021 COVID-19 Vaccine Mandate, whether they have direct involvement with members of the public, or they support others who have direct involvement.
All new hires must provide proof of vaccination against the COVID-19 virus, unless they have been granted a reasonable accommodation for religious or medical reasons. If you are offered employment at CAMBA, this requirement must be met by your date of hire, unless a reasonable accommodation is received and approved by CAMBA.