Who We Are: CAMBA is a community of staff, volunteers, clients, donors, neighbors and partners who work together to build an inclusive New York City, where all children and adults have access to the resources and supports they need to thrive. We take a comprehensive approach by offering more than 160 integrated programs in: Education & Youth Development, Family Support, Job Training & Employment Support Services, Health, Housing, and Legal Services. We reach more than 65,000 individuals and families each year at our 90 locations, including 10,000 youth. CAMBA serves a diverse cross section of New Yorkers from new mothers in Brownsville to job seekers in the Rockaways. More than half of our clients are immigrants and refugees from around the globe. Over 85% of our families are in living in poverty, reflecting the challenges faced by nearly 1.7 million New Yorkers today.
The Brooklyn YAS (Youth against Substance Misuse) Coalition is committed to creating community-level change that will reduce risk factors and promote protective factors that prevent substance misuse among lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and questioning/queer (LGBTQ+) and other youth in the neighborhoods of Crown Heights, East Flatbush, Wingate and Prospect-Lefferts Garden (Community Boards 9 and 17). The coalition will represent of a diverse array of members from different sectors that are invested in preventing or delaying substance use initiation among LGBTQ+ and other youth
Position: Coalition Consultant
Reports To: Director
Location: 1259 Flatbush Avenue, Brooklyn, NY 11226
What the Coalition Consultant Does:
- Maintain professional relationships with community partners and confidentiality of individuals engaged through outreach.
- Communicate effectively with coalition members, supervisors, and funders.
- Plan and organize program activities to maximize program contract’s goals and performance targets.
- Prepare marketing materials for the program.
- Help prepare for and participate in monthly coalition meetings, including: communicating with coalition members; developing agendas; and taking meeting minutes.
- Participate in a Community Assessment, including: helping collect quantitative and qualitative data about the effects of family rejection on the health of LGBTQ+ youth and the prevalence and incidence of substance misuse among LGBTQ+ youth in the catchment area; conducting community mapping activities; and helping conduct interviews and focus groups with community opinion leaders, LGBTQ+ youth, and families.
- Based on the Community Assessment findings help to revise Action Plan.
- Help carry out activities in Action Plan, including but not limited to: conducting outreach and education to schools, agencies, and businesses to promote coalition activities; helping recruit coalition members; participating in social marketing training and contributing to the development of a coalition-related social marketing campaign.
- Knowledge of and ability to work with LGBTQ+ youth.
- Knowledge about, understanding of, and ability to work closely with diverse communities.
CAMBA is a City contractor that provides services where employees can be expected to physically interact with members of the public. All CAMBA staff are subject to the City’s October 21, 2021 COVID-19 Vaccine Mandate, whether they have direct involvement with members of the public, or they support others who have direct involvement.
All new hires must provide proof of vaccination against the COVID-19 virus, unless they have been granted a reasonable accommodation for religious or medical reasons. If you are offered employment at CAMBA, this requirement must be met by your date of hire, unless a reasonable accommodation is received and approved by CAMBA.