Who We Are: CAMBA is a community of staff, volunteers, clients, donors, neighbors and partners who work together to build an inclusive New York City, where all children and adults have access to the resources and supports they need to thrive. We take a comprehensive approach by offering more than 160 integrated programs in: Education & Youth Development, Family Support, Job Training & Employment Support Services, Health, Housing, and Legal Services. We reach more than 65,000 individuals and families each year at our 90 locations, including 10,000 youth. CAMBA serves a diverse cross section of New Yorkers from new mothers in Brownsville to job seekers in the Rockaways. More than half of our clients are immigrants and refugees from around the globe. Over 85% of our families are in living in poverty, reflecting the challenges faced by nearly 1.7 million New Yorkers today.
CAMBA’s United Health Foundation Infant and Maternal Health Program will consist of imbedded and continuous services provided to the communities of two Brooklyn-based CAMBA family shelters and the nine NYCHA Public Housing Developments served by CAMBA’s Cornerstone Community Centers. We anticipate serving approximately 500 women annually over the three-year grant period.
Position: Case Manager
Reports To: Community Health Supervisor
Location: 21 Snyder Avenue, Brooklyn, New York 11226
What the Community Health Worker Does:
- Aid individuals and/or families requiring social service assistance (i.e., accessing and enrolling in preventative and primary health care services.)
- Interview and evaluate applicants for services, formulate service plans and goals, and aid participants to implement service plans.
- Locate and make use of appropriate community resources for participants.
- Evaluate living conditions of participants through home visits.
- Conduct outreach to identify high need women and infants from events at community venues, schools, hospitals, clinics, churches, shelters, substance abuse treatment clinics, emergency rooms, etc.
- Plan and utilize creative outreach strategy events (mailings, home visits, presentations, workshops, door-to-door flyer distribution) to connect participants with United Health Foundation Services
- Plan and facilitate educational presentations to participants, providers and others regarding United Health Foundation and a variety of topics.
- Conduct initial intake and/or assessment of participants and family situations and needs, and periodic re-assessments.
- Manage a small caseload and maintain participant files.
- Assist participants in attaining their goals by identifying and locating community resources; making referrals to appropriate services both within and outside CAMBA (i.e., physicians and dentists who can assure appropriate care throughout key life stages and support services like WIC and food stamps); and escorting participants to appointments as necessary.
- Assist participants in completing applications (i.e., assist with gathering documentation) for benefits and entitlements (i.e., health insurance), process applications on participants’ behalf and follow-up to ensure enrollment.
- Provide all required data and narrative information for weekly/monthly/quarterly/annual reports in a timely manner.
Minimum Education/Experience Required:
High School diploma or GED and 4 years of applicable experience and/or equivalent experience.
Some evenings and/or weekends may be required.
CAMBA is a City contractor that provides services where employees can be expected to physically interact with members of the public. All CAMBA staff are subject to the City’s October 21, 2021 COVID-19 Vaccine Mandate, whether they have direct involvement with members of the public, or they support others who have direct involvement.
All new hires must provide proof of vaccination against the COVID-19 virus, unless they have been granted a reasonable accommodation for religious or medical reasons. If you are offered employment at CAMBA, this requirement must be met by your date of hire, unless a reasonable accommodation is received and approved by CAMBA.