Schedule: 3-6 hours bimonthly
Who We Are: CAMBA is a community of staff, volunteers, clients, donors, neighbors and partners who work together to build an inclusive New York City, where all children and adults have access to the resources and supports they need to thrive. We take a comprehensive approach by offering more than 160 integrated programs in: Education & Youth Development, Family Support, Job Training & Employment Support Services, Health, Housing, and Legal Services. We reach more than 65,000 individuals and families each year at our 90 locations, including 10,000 youth. CAMBA serves a diverse cross section of New Yorkers from new mothers in Brownsville to job seekers in the Rockaways. More than half of our clients are immigrants and refugees from around the globe. Over 85% of our families are in living in poverty, reflecting the challenges faced by nearly 1.7 million New Yorkers today.
CAMBA’s Brooklyn 3D (Drive Down Diabetes) is a diabetes prevention and home self-management program designed to address the widespread prevalence of diabetes and pre-diabetes in low-income communities of color in Brooklyn. The multi-faceted program consists of the following individual, group, and community level components: diabetes self-management education in the home, including personal training sessions; container gardening workshops; and a social marketing campaign. The Personal Training Consultant will coach diabetic and pre-diabetic clients on fitness regimens that align with their diabetes self-management goals.
Position: Container Gardener Consultant
Reports To: Assistant Director
Location: 1259 Flatbush Avenue, Brooklyn, NY 11226
What the Container Gardener Consultant Does:
- Conduct 6 container garden educational sessions with a total of 40 diabetic and pre-diabetic clients.
- Work with program staff to identify seeds, soil, and other material to be used for educational sessions.
- Work with program staff to develop strategies for evaluating effectiveness of container gardening component.
- Adhere to public health requirements during in-person activities, such as social distancing and face coverings.
- Provide all required information for weekly/monthly/quarterly/annual reports.
- Create and maintain documentation of all activities.
- May input data and client progress information into automated database.
- Tasks may be modified, expanded and/or assigned over time.
Minimum Education/Experience Required:
- Strong gardening skills, including familiarity with container gardening.
- Certified Nursery & Landscape Professional (CNLP) preferred.
- Knowledgeable about farmers markets and regional food systems in NYC.
- At least 2 years of experience teaching, preferably in a horticulture-related area
- Excellent verbal communication skills.
- Bi-lingual Spanish or Haitian Creole preferred.
- Knowledge of nutrition and/or diabetes preferred.
CAMBA is a City contractor that provides services where employees can be expected to physically interact with members of the public. All CAMBA staff are subject to the City’s October 21, 2021 COVID-19 Vaccine Mandate, whether they have direct involvement with members of the public, or they support others who have direct involvement.
All new hires must provide proof of vaccination against the COVID-19 virus, unless they have been granted a reasonable accommodation for religious or medical reasons. If you are offered employment at CAMBA, this requirement must be met by your date of hire, unless a reasonable accommodation is received and approved by CAMBA