Who We Are: CAMBA is a community of staff, volunteers, clients, donors, neighbors and partners who work together to build an inclusive New York City, where all children and adults have access to the resources and supports they need to thrive. We take a comprehensive approach by offering more than 160 integrated programs in: Education & Youth Development, Family Support, Job Training & Employment Support Services, Health, Housing, and Legal Services. We reach more than 65,000 individuals and families each year at our 90 locations, including 10,000 youth. CAMBA serves a diverse cross section of New Yorkers from new mothers in Brownsville to job seekers in the Rockaways. More than half of our clients are immigrants and refugees from around the globe. Over 85% of our families are in living in poverty, reflecting the challenges faced by nearly 1.7 million New Yorkers today.
Gabriel House Supportive Housing Program: a building which was developed and is operated by the Addiction Rehabilitation Center Foundation, Inc., a nonprofit agency. Gabriel House is a residential building located on West 122nd street and the corner of Adam Clayton Powell Jr. Blvd in the Central Harlem section of Manhattan. The facility will provide 30 units of supportive housing to homeless or at-risk of homelessness, single adults (age 18 and over) diagnosed with HIV/AIDS, serious mental illness (SMI) or who are diagnosed as mentally ill and chemically addicted (MICA), currently known as persons with co-occurring disorders. CAMBA, Inc. is the on-site services provider at Gabriel House and provides case management and 24/7 security.
Reports To: Program Manager
Location: 2044 Adam Clayton Powell Jr. Blvd, New York, NY 10025
What The Cook Does:
- Prepare and cook healthy, nutritious meals according to menu and number of people to be served.
- Plan menu according to foods in season and local availability.
- Order and inventory supplies and food.
- Create and maintain accurate records and accounts.
- Bake breads and pastries.
- Clean and cut meats, poultry, fish and vegetables prepared for meals or refrigeration.
- Serve all meals on time according to the schedule.
- Clean up kitchen (i.e. stove, refrigerator, wash dishes) and dining areas after meals.
Minimum Education/Experience Required:
- Sufficient education (English-speaking, -reading, -writing, & math abilities) to write and understand written menus and recipes and to inventory and order supplies and food.
- Participate in Department of Health Food Protection 15 hour Course and pass exam.
- Knowledge about, understanding of, and ability to work closely with, persons with HIV/AIDS and related issues.