Who We Are: CAMBA is a community of staff, volunteers, clients, donors, neighbors and partners who work together to build an inclusive New York City, where all children and adults have access to the resources and supports they need to thrive. We take a comprehensive approach by offering more than 160 integrated programs in: Education & Youth Development, Family Support, Job Training & Employment Support Services, Health, Housing, and Legal Services. We reach more than 65,000 individuals and families each year at our 90 locations, including 10,000 youth. CAMBA serves a diverse cross section of New Yorkers from new mothers in Brownsville to job seekers in the Rockaways. More than half of our clients are immigrants and refugees from around the globe. Over 85% of our families are in living in poverty, reflecting the challenges faced by nearly 1.7 million New Yorkers today.
CAMBA’s The Kensington Family Shelter is funded by New York City Department of Homeless Services and offers families a supportive, structured therapeutic, safe, and drug-free facility. It provides comprehensive case management services to 64 families who are in a transitional residence program for homeless families. The five story facility has 4 floors plus a basement with rooms of various sizes, common areas and provides on-site security and social services.
Position: Driver; Maintenance Custodian
Reports To: Assistant Program Manager
Location: 385 McDonald Avenue, Brooklyn, NY 11218
What The Driver; Maintenance Custodian Does:
- Identify and document all maintenance issues on work order form.
- Ensure that work orders are completed up to standard and in a timely manner.
- Immediately report maintenance equipment issues (i.e., inoperable, missing, etc.)
- Comply with all maintenance regulatory requirements at all times.
- Utilize appropriate safety standards (i.e., wear safety goggles, masks, appropriate attire) and display safety signs when performing tasks.
- Prepare for and respond to inclement weather (i.e., prepare sandbags, tie down loose outdoor items, remove snow and/or ice from the sidewalks, driveways and stairs, etc.).
- Escort clients to appointments.
- Perform daily pre-trip vehicle inspection prior to first trip of the day.
- Immediately report vehicle and/or equipment that are inoperable, missing or improperly utilized.
- Complete vehicle travel log for all trips.
- Assist passengers needing assistance in order to enter and/or exit vehicle.
- Keep vehicle clean and/or free of litter at all times.
- May clean rugs, carpets, upholstered furniture, window blinds, and draperies.
- May clean and sanitize toilets, sinks, tubs, showers, shower fixtures, including walls, floors, curtains, stalls, and mirrors.
- May replace light bulbs, light fixtures, light covers, electrical outlet covers and ballasts as needed.
- May dust and/or wipe furniture, equipment, and ceiling fans.
- May separate and transport trash, recyclables and waste to disposal area and consolidate for pickup.
- May clean storm drains and gutters to ensure proper drainage.
- May polish metalwork, including lighting fixtures.
- May replenish bathroom supplies including toilet tissue, paper towels, and hand soap.
- May wash walls, ceiling, woodwork, windows, sills and door panels, heating and cooling vents and air conditioner filters.
- May plaster and paint interiors of buildings.
- May replace door handles or locks as needed.
- May remove graffiti from interior and exterior surfaces.
- May replace cracked or missing floor tiles, wall tiles and ceiling tiles as necessary.
Minimum Education/Experience Required:
- Sufficient education and technical expertise to comprehend written and oral instructions (work orders); to accomplish maintenance tasks; and to document accomplished tasks.
- Must have Valid New York State Driver’s License and excellent driving history.
- Must complete NYS Approved Defensive Driving Classes every 3 years.
- Must take Refresher Computerized Defensive Driver class
- Must remain insurable based on CAMBA’s point system throughout the duration of employment.
- If required to drive 15 passenger van, must score at least 80% on computerized 15 passenger van improvement test every year.
- If required to drive 15 passenger van, must pass an observed Van Road Test
- Acknowledge review of CAMBA’s Transportation Policy
- May be required to become First Aid/CPR certified.
- May be required to become certified in overdose prevention.
- Bi-lingual preferred.
- Must sign NYC DOH/MH attestation stating that candidate has not been the subject of a founded child abuse report.
- May be required to work evenings and weekends, as needed.
Compensation: – $15.30 Hourly-
When salary ranges are listed, the range would represent the low and high end for the applicable position & program. The salary offered would be based on various factors unique to each program and candidate. This includes but is not limited to experience, education, budget and/or program size, internal equity, skills and other factors that may be required for the position and organization.
Status: –Full-time (35 hours per week)-
Benefits: CAMBA offers a comprehensive benefits package including health insurance, dental insurance, 403(b) retirement plan with employer match, paid time off (vacation, personal, and sick time), and paid holidays.
CAMBA is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value a diverse workforce and inclusive workplace. People of color, people with disabilities, and lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people are encouraged to apply. We consider all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, disability, socio-economic status, marital or veteran status, pregnancy status or sexual orientation.