Who We Are: CAMBA is a community of staff, volunteers, clients, donors, neighbors and partners who work together to build an inclusive New York City, where all children and adults have access to the resources and supports they need to thrive. We take a comprehensive approach by offering more than 160 integrated programs in: Education & Youth Development, Family Support, Job Training & Employment Support Services, Health, Housing, and Legal Services. We reach more than 65,000 individuals and families each year at our 90 locations, including 10,000 youth. CAMBA serves a diverse cross section of New Yorkers from new mothers in Brownsville to job seekers in the Rockaways. More than half of our clients are immigrants and refugees from around the globe. Over 85% of our families are in living in poverty, reflecting the challenges faced by nearly 1.7 million New Yorkers today.
CAMBA’s Opportunity House (COH) is a 62 bed men’s general population shelter funded by New York City Department of Homeless Services located in downtown Brooklyn. COH offers clients a supportive, structured therapeutic, safe, and drug-free facility. Homeless men are provided with comprehensive services to stabilize their condition in order to successfully transition into to permanent and/or supported housing.
Position: Driver/Maintenance Worker
Reports To: Senior Program Manager
Locations:59-65 Prince Street, Brooklyn, NY 11201
What The Driver/Maintenance Worker Does:
- Operate a variety of company vehicles to transport passengers such as clients, employees, and/or supplies and materials.
- Make repairs, paint, and perform other upkeep functions to maintain the organization’s physical facilities, and clients apartments.
- Load, unload, and carry furniture, client belongings and supplies up stairs and move furniture and supplies as needed.
- Clean exterior grounds around building and dumpster.
- Fulfill courier/messenger tasks in addition to maintenance tasks.
Minimum Education/Experience Required:
- Sufficient education and technical expertise to comprehend written and oral instructions (work orders); to accomplish maintenance tasks; and to document accomplished tasks.
- Must have Valid New York State Drivers License and excellent driving history.
- Must complete NYS Approved Defensive Driving Classes every 3 years. Must take Refresher Computerized Defensive Driver class.
- Must remain insurable based on CAMBAs point system throughout the duration of employment.
- If required to drive 15 passenger van, must score at least 80% on computerized 15 passenger van improvement test every year.
- If required to drive 15 passenger van, must pass an observed Van Road Test
- Acknowledge review of CAMBAs Transportation Policy May be required to become First Aid/CPR certified.
- May be required to become certified in overdose prevention.
- Bi-lingual preferred.
Compensation: $15.30 per hour
Status: Full-time (35 hours per week)
Benefits: CAMBA offers a comprehensive benefits package including health insurance, dental insurance, 403(b) retirement plan with employer match, paid time off (vacation, personal, and sick time), and paid holidays.
CAMBA is a City contractor that provides services where employees can be expected to physically interact with members of the public. All CAMBA staff are subject to the City’s October 21, 2021 COVID-19 Vaccine Mandate, whether they have direct involvement with members of the public, or they support others who have direct involvement.
All new hires must provide proof of vaccination against the COVID-19 virus, unless they have been granted a reasonable accommodation for religious or medical reasons. If you are offered employment at CAMBA, this requirement must be met by your date of hire, unless a reasonable accommodation is received and approved by CAMBA.