Who We Are: CAMBA is a community of staff, volunteers, clients, donors, neighbors and partners who work together to build an inclusive New York City, where all children and adults have access to the resources and supports they need to thrive. We take a comprehensive approach by offering more than 160 integrated programs in: Education & Youth Development, Family Support, Job Training & Employment Support Services, Health, Housing, and Legal Services. We reach more than 65,000 individuals and families each year at our 90 locations, including 10,000 youth. CAMBA serves a diverse cross section of New Yorkers from new mothers in Brownsville to job seekers in the Rockaways. More than half of our clients are immigrants and refugees from around the globe. Over 85% of our families are in living in poverty, reflecting the challenges faced by nearly 1.7 million New Yorkers today.
The Scattered Site Housing Program (SSHP) – Queens is a community based, permanent, independent apartment housing program for HIV/AIDS Services Administration (HASA) clients. This program provides 140 units of scattered site housing and all units are leased in the agency’s name. Seventy-five percent of the units are for single individuals and twenty-five percent are for families. Both case management and housing maintenance services are provided. In addition, clients receive partial financial assistance with their utility bills. Clients with income other than Public Assistance must pay thirty percent of their household’s income to the program as rent.
Position: Driver/ Maintenance Worker
Reports To: Assistant Program Manager
Location: 89-31 161st Street Room 701, Jamaica, NY 11432
What The Driver/ Maintenance Worker Does:
- Ensure that vehicle is properly serviced in accordance with maintenance schedule.
- Perform daily pre-trip vehicle inspection prior to first trip of the day.
- Immediately report vehicle and/or equipment that are inoperable, missing or improperly utilized.
- Complete vehicle travel log for all trips.
- Assist passengers needing assistance in order to enter and/or exit vehicle.
- Keep vehicle clean and/or free of litter at all times.
- Clean rooms, hallways, lobbies, lounges, rest rooms, corridors, elevators, stairways, locker rooms, and other work areas.
- Perform weekly room inspections for all congregate housing units.
- Sweep, scrub, wax, and polish floors.
- Clean rugs, carpets, upholstered furniture, and draperies.
- Replace light bulbs.
- Dust furniture and equipment.
- Transport trash and waste to disposal area and consolidate for pickup.
- May assist clients in maintaining an appropriate living environment.
- May polish metalwork, including lighting fixtures.
- May wash walls, ceiling, woodwork, windows, door panels, and sills.
- May replenish bathroom supplies.
- May cut and trim grass, and shovel snow.
- May make minor plumbing and electrical repairs.
- May paint interiors of buildings.
- May escort clients to appointments.
Minimum Education/Experience Required:
- Sufficient education and technical expertise: to comprehend written and oral instructions (work orders); to accomplish maintenance tasks; and to document accomplished tasks.
- Knowledge about, understanding of, and at least one year of experience working with, persons with HIV/AIDS and related issues.
- Must have Valid New York State Driver’s License and excellent driving history.
- Must complete NYS Approved Defensive Driving Classes every 3 years.
- Must take Refresher Computerized Defensive Driver class
- Must remain insurable based on CAMBA’s point system throughout the duration of employment.
- If required to drive 15-passenger van, must score at least 80% on computerized 15-passenger van improvement test every year.
- If required to drive 15 passenger van, must pass an observed Van Road Test
- Acknowledge review of CAMBA’s Transportation Policy
Compensation: $18.00 hourly
Status: Full-time (35 hours per week)
Benefits: CAMBA offers a comprehensive benefits package including health insurance, dental insurance, 403(b) retirement plan with employer match, paid time off (vacation, personal, and sick time), and paid holidays.
CAMBA is a City contractor that provides services where employees can be expected to physically interact with members of the public. All CAMBA staff are subject to the City’s October 21, 2021 COVID-19 Vaccine Mandate, whether they have direct involvement with members of the public, or they support others who have direct involvement.
All new hires must provide proof of vaccination against the COVID-19 virus, unless they have been granted a reasonable accommodation for religious or medical reasons. If you are offered employment at CAMBA, this requirement must be met by your date of hire, unless a reasonable accommodation is received and approved by CAMBA.