Who We Are: CAMBA is a community of staff, volunteers, clients, donors, neighbors and partners who work together to build an inclusive New York City, where all children and adults have access to the resources and supports they need to thrive. We take a comprehensive approach by offering more than 160 integrated programs in: Education & Youth Development, Family Support, Job Training & Employment Support Services, Health, Housing, and Legal Services. We reach more than 65,000 individuals and families each year at our 90 locations, including 10,000 youth. CAMBA serves a diverse cross section of New Yorkers from new mothers in Brownsville to job seekers in the Rockaways. More than half of our clients are immigrants and refugees from around the globe. Over 85% of our families are in living in poverty, reflecting the challenges faced by nearly 1.7 million New Yorkers today.
CAMBA’s Short Term Housing Program (STHP) provides congregate and transitional housing to PLWHA who are homeless or at serious risk of homelessness. This program provides a model of services that addresses the interrelated problems of HIV and homelessness. Program staff provide transitional housing, case management support, and housing readiness training in a supportive environment, which will help clients develop the skills to find and maintain permanent, and stable housing.
Position: Driver /Maintenance Worker
Reports To: Assistant Program Manager
Location: 19 Winthrop Street, Brooklyn, NY, 11225
What The Driver/Maintenance Worker Does:
- Practice universal precautions when operating company vehicles to transport clients, employees and materials.
- Ensure that vehicle is properly serviced in accordance with maintenance schedule.
- Perform daily pre-trip vehicle inspection prior to first trip of the day.
Immediately report vehicle and/or equipment that are inoperable, missing or improperly utilized. Complete vehicle travel log for all trips. Assist passengers needing assistance in order to enter and/or exit vehicle. Keep vehicle clean and/or free of litter at all times.
- Clean rooms, hallways, lobbies, lounges, rest rooms, corridors, elevators, stairways, locker rooms, and other work areas. Sweep, scrub, wax, and polish floors. Clean rugs, carpets, upholstered furniture, and draperies. Replace light bulbs. Dust furniture and equipment. Transport trash and waste to disposal area and consolidate for pickup.
Minimum Education/Experience Required:
• Sufficient education and technical expertise: to comprehend written and oral instructions (work orders); to accomplish maintenance tasks; and to document accomplished tasks.
• Knowledge about, understanding of, and at least one year of experience working with, persons with HIV/AIDS and related issues.
• Must have Valid New York State Driver’s License and excellent driving history.
• Must complete NYS Approved Defensive Driving Classes every 3 years.
• Must take Refresher Computerized Defensive Driver class
• Must remain insurable based on CAMBA’s point system throughout the duration of employment.
• If required to drive 15 passenger van, must score at least 80% on computerized 15 passenger van improvement test every year.
• If required to drive 15 passenger van, must pass an observed Van Road Test
• Acknowledge review of CAMBA’s Transportation Policy.
CAMBA is a City contractor that provides services where employees can be expected to physically interact with members of the public. All CAMBA staff are subject to the City’s October 21, 2021 COVID-19 Vaccine Mandate, whether they have direct involvement with members of the public, or they support others who have direct involvement.
All new hires must provide proof of vaccination against the COVID-19 virus, unless they have been granted a reasonable accommodation for religious or medical reasons. If you are offered employment at CAMBA, this requirement must be met by your date of hire, unless a reasonable accommodation is received and approved by CAMBA.