Who We Are: CAMBA is a community of staff, volunteers, clients, donors, neighbors and partners who work together to build an inclusive New York City, where all children and adults have access to the resources and supports they need to thrive. We take a comprehensive approach by offering more than 160 integrated programs in: Education & Youth Development, Family Support, Job Training & Employment Support Services, Health, Housing, and Legal Services. We reach more than 65,000 individuals and families each year at our 90 locations, including 20,000 youth. CAMBA serves a diverse cross section of New Yorkers from new mothers in Brownsville to job seekers in the Rockaways. More than half of our clients are immigrants and refugees from around the globe. Over 85% of our families are in living in poverty, reflecting the challenges faced by nearly 1.7 million New Yorkers today.
CAMBA’s Atlantic House located in the Brownsville section of Brooklyn serves 200 single men at any given time. The majority of these clients are diagnosed with mental illness, some dually with chemical addictions.
Position: Housing Specialist
Reports To: Clinical Supervisor
Location: 2402 Atlantic Avenue, Brooklyn, NY 11233
What The Housing Specialist Does:
The person filling this position is expected, under general direction, to: (1) immediately formulate a plan and prepare clients for permanent housing placement; (2) engage individuals requiring social service assistance; (3) interview and evaluate clients, formulate Independent Living Plans and goals; and (4) locate and refer to appropriate community resources for clients; including the following:
- Assist clients in attaining their Housing related goals by identifying and referring clients to appropriate services both within and outside CAMBA.
- Conduct housing search efforts for each housing ready client referred (i.e., referrals to housing providers, contact landlords, search for apartment listings, etc.).
- Develop curriculum to address clients’ Housing and Independent Living related needs including, permanent housing search process and options.
- Develop and facilitate a series of Housing Workshops.
- Develop materials to be posted on a Bulletin Board that serves to provide relevant Housing related information.
- Organize and schedule presentations by supportive housing programs, local real estate experts and/or landlords.
- Establish linkages with community-based organizations (i.e., supportive housing programs, DHS Housing Unit, etc.) and local landlords.
- Review all approved housing packages to determine appropriateness of housing providers.
- Follow-up with clients for a period of time after move-out to assure client stability.
- Conduct initial intake and psychosocial evaluation and periodic re-assessments.
- Obtain and maintain relevant documentation and release forms from clients (i.e., birth certificate, proof of income, medical documents, release of Personal Health Information, etc.).
- Assist clients in attaining their goals by identifying barriers, community resources and by referring clients to appropriate services both within and outside CAMBA (i.e., On-site medical services and psychiatric services, etc.).
- Monitor and document all client encounters via progress notes using DHS CARES Database and printout notes for client’s paper file.
- May schedule and escort clients to appointments (i.e., housing interviews, apartment move-ins, housing fairs, referral organizations. etc.)
- May assist clients in completing applications for benefits and entitlements, and may process applications on clients’ behalf.
Minimum Education/Experience Required :
- Bachelor’s degree and/or equivalent experience.
Other Requirements :
- May be required to become First Aid/CPR certified
- May be required to become certified in overdose prevention.
- Bi-lingual preferred
Compensation: $43,000 – $46,000 annually
Status: Full-time (35 hours per week)
Benefits: CAMBA offers a comprehensive benefits package including health insurance, dental insurance, 403(b) retirement plan with employer match, paid time off (vacation, personal, and sick time), and paid holidays.
CAMBA is a City contractor that provides services where employees can be expected to physically interact with members of the public. All CAMBA staff are subject to the City’s October 21, 2021 COVID-19 Vaccine Mandate, whether they have direct involvement with members of the public, or they support others who have direct involvement.
All new hires must provide proof of vaccination against the COVID-19 virus, unless they have been granted a reasonable accommodation for religious or medical reasons. If you are offered employment at CAMBA, this requirement must be met by your date of hire, unless a reasonable accommodation is received and approved by CAMBA.