Who We Are: CAMBA is a community of staff, volunteers, clients, donors, neighbors and partners who work together to build an inclusive New York City, where all children and adults have access to the resources and supports they need to thrive. We take a comprehensive approach by offering more than 160 integrated programs in: Education & Youth Development, Family Support, Job Training & Employment Support Services, Health, Housing, and Legal Services. We reach more than 65,000 individuals and families each year at our 90 locations, including 10,000 youth. CAMBA serves a diverse cross section of New Yorkers from new mothers in Brownsville to job seekers in the Rockaways. More than half of our clients are immigrants and refugees from around the globe. Over 85% of our families are in living in poverty, reflecting the challenges faced by nearly 1.7 million New Yorkers today.
CAMBA’s Evergreen Residence is funded by New York City Department of Homeless Services and offers families a supportive, structured therapeutic, safe, and drug-free facility. It provides comprehensive case management services to 51 families in a transitional residence program for homeless families. The five story facility has rooms of various sizes, common areas and provides on-site security and social services to stabilize their condition in order to successfully transition into to permanent housing.
Position: Housing Specialist
Reports To: Program Director
Location: 1144 Evergreen Avenue, Bronx, NY, 10472
What The Housing Specialist Does:
- Assist case managers by being a client liaison with outside organizations regarding such
- Assist clients in attaining their Housing and Entitlements related goals by identifying and locating community resources for clients and by making referrals to appropriate services both within and outside CAMBA.
- Develop curriculum to address shelter residents’ Housing, Independent Living Skills and Entitlement related needs including, permanent housing search process and options.
- Develop a series of monthly Housing readiness workshops.
- Provide individualized and group counseling on housing and entitlement related topics
- Develop and maintain a Bulletin Board that serves to provide relevant Housing related information
- Tasks may be modified, expanded and/or assigned over time.
Minimum Education/Experience Required:
- High school diploma or G.E.D and two years of applicable experience and/or equivalent experience.
- Bilingual preferred
- Must obtain State Central Registry (SCR) clearance, The Register of Substantiated Category One Cases of Abuse or Neglect aka Staff Exclusion List (SEL) clearance and Criminal history information checks via fingerprinting with New York State Division of Criminal Justice Services prior to start of employment.
- Ability to maintain clearances throughout the duration of employment.
- Must obtain Annual PPD Test.
CAMBA is a City contractor that provides services where employees can be expected to physically interact with members of the public. All CAMBA staff are subject to the City’s October 21, 2021 COVID-19 Vaccine Mandate, whether they have direct involvement with members of the public, or they support others who have direct involvement.
All new hires must provide proof of vaccination against the COVID-19 virus, unless they have been granted a reasonable accommodation for religious or medical reasons. If you are offered employment at CAMBA, this requirement must be met by your date of hire, unless a reasonable accommodation is received and approved by CAMBA.