Who We Are: CAMBA is a community of staff, volunteers, clients, donors, neighbors and partners who work together to build an inclusive New York City, where all children and adults have access to the resources and supports they need to thrive. We take a comprehensive approach by offering more than 160 integrated programs in: Education & Youth Development, Family Support, Job Training & Employment Support Services, Health, Housing, and Legal Services. We reach more than 65,000 individuals and families each year at our 90 locations, including 10,000 youth. CAMBA serves a diverse cross section of New Yorkers from new mothers in Brownsville to job seekers in the Rockaways. More than half of our clients are immigrants and refugees from around the globe. Over 85% of our families are in living in poverty, reflecting the challenges faced by nearly 1.7 million New Yorkers today.
CAMBA’s The Landing Family Shelter is funded by New York City Department of Homeless Services and offers families a supportive, structured therapeutic, safe, and drug-free facility. It provides comprehensive case management services to 169 families who are in a transitional residence program for homeless families. The three story facility has rooms of various sizes, common areas and provides on-site security and social services.
Position: Housing Specialist
Reports To: Director of Social Services
Location: 9400 Ditmars Boulevard, Queens, NY 11369
What The Housing Specialist Does:
- The Housing Specialist will interview and evaluate clients and formulate Independent living plans and aid client to implement goals, locate and make use of appropriate community resources for clients and serve as a liaison with outside organizations regarding such matters as education, healthcare, housing, social services, legal issues.
- This person will also assist clients in attaining their Housing and Entitlements related goals by identifying and referring clients to appropriate services both within and outside CAMBA., conduct housing search efforts for each housing ready client on caseload monthly (i.e., referrals to housing providers, contact landlords, search for apartment listings, etc.).
- Develop curriculum to address shelter residents’ Housing, Independent Living Skills and Entitlement related needs including, permanent housing search process and option, amongst other important tasks.
Minimum Education/Experience Required:
- Bachelor’s degree (e. g., B.A., B.S.W.) and two years of applicable experience and/or equivalent experience.
- Must obtain State Central Registry (SCR) clearance, The Register of Substantiated Category One Cases of Abuse or Neglect aka Staff Exclusion List (SEL) clearance and Criminal History information checks via fingerprinting with New York State Division of Criminal Justice Services prior to start of employment.
- Ability to maintain clearances throughout the duration of employment.
- Bi-lingual preferred.
Compensation: $43,000 – $46,000/annually
When salary ranges are listed, the range would represent the low and high end for the applicable position & program. The salary offered would be based on various factors unique to each program and candidate. This includes but is not limited to experience, education, budget and/or program size, internal equity, skills and other factors that may be required for the position and organization.
Status: –Full-time (35 hours per week)
Benefits: CAMBA offers a comprehensive benefits package including health insurance, dental insurance, 403(b) retirement plan with employer match, paid time off (vacation, personal, and sick time), and paid holidays.
CAMBA is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value a diverse workforce and inclusive workplace. People of color, people with disabilities, and lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people are encouraged to apply. We consider all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, disability, socio-economic status, marital or veteran status, pregnancy status or sexual orientation.