Who We Are: CAMBA is a community of staff, volunteers, clients, donors, neighbors and partners who work together to build an inclusive New York City, where all children and adults have access to the resources and supports they need to thrive. We take a comprehensive approach by offering more than 160 integrated programs in: Education & Youth Development, Family Support, Job Training & Employment Support Services, Health, Housing, and Legal Services. We reach more than 65,000 individuals and families each year at our 90 locations, including 10,000 youth. CAMBA serves a diverse cross section of New Yorkers from new mothers in Brownsville to job seekers in the Rockaways. More than half of our clients are immigrants and refugees from around the globe. Over 85% of our families are in living in poverty, reflecting the challenges faced by nearly 1.7 million New Yorkers today.
Justice Involved Supportive Housing (JISH) provides 30 units of scattered site supportive housing to homeless individuals with a probable mental health illness and/or a substance use disorder, with recent histories of cycling through the NYC criminal justice and shelter system. Both programs provide supportive services in an effort to support clients to maintain housing by being connected to services needed. Connected services include medical, mental health, substance use treatment, as well as benefits, legal, etc.
Position: Housing Specialist
Reports To: Program Manager
Location: 19 Winthrop Street, Brooklyn, NY 11225
What The Housing Specialist Does:
- Ensure that all operational issues and obligations related to obtaining and maintaining program residences are met.
- Comply with any and all Federal, State, City and CAMBA security and privacy polices intended to protect the security and privacy of individually identifiable health information.
- Identify studio and/or one bedroom apartment for eligible clients.
- Obtain leases and other required documentation in order to process leases.
- Submit leases for review to Program Manager/ Program Director in a timely manner.
- Ensure that apartment units are ready prior to occupancy.
- Coordinate with utilities companies to activate utilities.
- Act as liaison between Case Managers, maintenance workers, and the Fiscal Department to address various issues i.e. housing plans, maintenance work/repairs, fiscal issues.
- Collect and track all client programmatic fee/rent payments.
Minimum Education/Experience Required:
- High school diploma or G.E.D. and two years of applicable experience; or, Associates degree (A. A.) and one year of applicable experience and/or equivalent experience.
- Knowledge about, understanding of, and ability to work closely with, persons with HIV/AIDS and related issues.
- Knowledge about, understanding of, and experience working with, housing systems, facilities management, and maintenance needs.
Compensation: $45,000 – $48,000 annually
Status: Full-time (35 hours per week)
Benefits: CAMBA offers a comprehensive benefits package including health insurance, dental insurance, 403(b) retirement plan with employer match, paid time off (vacation, personal, and sick time), and paid holidays.
CAMBA is a City contractor that provides services where employees can be expected to physically interact with members of the public. All CAMBA staff are subject to the City’s October 21, 2021 COVID-19 Vaccine Mandate, whether they have direct involvement with members of the public, or they support others who have direct involvement.
All new hires must provide proof of vaccination against the COVID-19 virus, unless they have been granted a reasonable accommodation for religious or medical reasons. If you are offered employment at CAMBA, this requirement must be met by your date of hire, unless a reasonable accommodation is received and approved by CAMBA.