Who We Are: CAMBA is a community of staff, volunteers, clients, donors, neighbors and partners who work together to build an inclusive New York City, where all children and adults have access to the resources and supports they need to thrive. We take a comprehensive approach by offering more than 160 integrated programs in: Education & Youth Development, Family Support, Job Training & Employment Support Services, Health, Housing, and Legal Services. We reach more than 65,000 individuals and families each year at our 90 locations, including 10,000 youth. CAMBA serves a diverse cross section of New Yorkers from new mothers in Brownsville to job seekers in the Rockaways. More than half of our clients are immigrants and refugees from around the globe. Over 85% of our families are in living in poverty, reflecting the challenges faced by nearly 1.7 million New Yorkers today.
CAMBA’s Human Resources (HR) Department manages all aspects of human resources and administrative functions such as onboarding, employee benefits, compensation, recruitment, interviewing, hiring new staff in accordance with all regulatory policies and requirements, and performance measurement/appraisal. The Human Resources Department’s goals are to enhance employee morale and productivity, limit job turnover, effectively use employee skills/knowledge/abilities, provide training and development opportunities to improve those skills, and increase employees’ job satisfaction.
Position: Human Resources Assistant
Reports To: Program Manager
Location: 1720 Church Avenue, Brooklyn, NY 11226
What the Human Resources Assistant Does: The person filling this position is expected to facilitate and provide professional and/or administrative support to maximize efficiency within the Human Resources Department. They will also have excellent planning and organizing skills with the ability and willingness to multi-task and use time efficiently. As well as:
- Conduct and manage all HR filing tasks to ensure that files are complete and in compliance with agency and funder regulations at all times.
- Compile, check and follow up on missing documents in personnel files for audits.
- Complete verification of employment by preparing letters and forms regarding employment start date, salaries, etc., as requested by employees/employers (for banking, mortgages, landlords, HRA forms, etc.)
- Enter written warnings into HR’s ABRA database and file hard copies into personnel file.
- Create, track and distribute employee identification cards.
- Assist with a variety of HR administration tasks including data entry into various modules, ordering and tracking supplies, making and maintaining a supply of copies of forms necessary for new employee orientation packages, making employee IDs, etc.
- Enroll and/or terminate employees in the Transit Commuter Benefit Plan and assist employees to troubleshoot claim issues.
Minimum Education/Experience Required:
- Bachelor’s degree (B.A.) in Human Resources or related field and/or equivalent experience.
- Must abide by strict ethical standards.
- Must maintain integrity, objectivity, and confidentiality at all times.
- Be thoroughly familiar with the organization and its human resources policies.
- Be informed about equal employment opportunity (EEO) and affirmative action guidelines and laws, such as the Americans with Disabilities Act.
CAMBA is a City contractor that provides services where employees can be expected to physically interact with members of the public. All CAMBA staff are subject to the City’s October 21, 2021 COVID-19 Vaccine Mandate, whether they have direct involvement with members of the public, or they support others who have direct involvement.
All new hires must provide proof of vaccination against the COVID-19 virus, unless they have been granted a reasonable accommodation for religious or medical reasons. If you are offered employment at CAMBA, this requirement must be met by your date of hire, unless a reasonable accommodation is received and approved by CAMBA.