Who We Are: CAMBA is a community of staff, volunteers, clients, donors, neighbors and partners who work together to build an inclusive New York City, where all children and adults have access to the resources and supports they need to thrive. We take a comprehensive approach by offering more than 160 integrated programs in: Education & Youth Development, Family Support, Job Training & Employment Support Services, Health, Housing, and Legal Services. We reach more than 65,000 individuals and families each year at our 90 locations, including 10,000 youth. CAMBA serves a diverse cross section of New Yorkers from new mothers in Brownsville to job seekers in the Rockaways. More than half of our clients are immigrants and refugees from around the globe. Over 85% of our families are in living in poverty, reflecting the challenges faced by nearly 1.7 million New Yorkers today.
CAMBA Legal Services, Inc. (CLS) is the legal services arm of CAMBA, Inc. CLS provides free civil legal services to low-income New Yorkers in the areas of consumer law, foreclosure prevention, immigration, housing law, and domestic violence assistance. In addition to providing direct representation and providing legal advice and counsel to thousands of clients, CAMBA attorneys also engage in legislative advocacy, impact litigation in both state and federal court, provide community education and offer expert training on a wide range of issues, services that allow members of our community to improve their lives.
Position: Immigration Paralegal
Location: 20 Snyder Avenue, Brooklyn, NY 11226
What the Immigration Paralegal Does:
- The person filling this position is expected to research the law, investigate facts, and prepare documents to assist attorneys and clients.
- Assist clients in completing CAMBA intake applications and forms and enter relevant data in the data system.
- Conduct legal intake and assessment of client’s situations and needs.
- Assist clients in completing applications for benefits and entitlements, adjustments of status, citizenship, etc. and may process applications on clients’ behalf.
- Accompany clients to Federal Plaza and/or other immigration offices as appropriate and needed.
- Research and analyze law sources such as statutes, recorded judicial decisions, legal articles, legal codes, etc.
- Prepare legal documents such as letters of advocacy, affidavits, and forms for administrative hearings.
- Investigate facts and law of case to determine causes of action/defenses and prepare case accordingly.
Minimum Education/Experience Required:
- Associate’s Degree (A.A.) and two years applicable experience or Bachelor’s degree (B. A. or B.S.) and/or equivalent experience.
- Prior experience working with immigration field preferred.
Bi-lingual English/Ukrainian or Russian speaker required.
Compensation: $47,807 – $74,736 annually
Status: Full-time (35 hours per week)
Benefits: CAMBA offers a comprehensive benefits package including health insurance, dental insurance, 403(b) retirement plan with employer match, paid time off (vacation, personal, and sick time), and paid holidays.
The support staff, law graduates, and staff attorneys at CAMBA Legal Services are unionized with the Association of Legal Aid Attorneys, UAW Local 2325 as the CAMBA Legal Services Workers Union.