Who We Are: CAMBA is a community of staff, volunteers, clients, donors, neighbors and partners who work together to build an inclusive New York City, where all children and adults have access to the resources and supports they need to thrive. We take a comprehensive approach by offering more than 160 integrated programs in: Education & Youth Development, Family Support, Job Training & Employment Support Services, Health, Housing, and Legal Services. We reach more than 65,000 individuals and families each year at our 90 locations, including 10,000 youth. CAMBA serves a diverse cross section of New Yorkers from new mothers in Brownsville to job seekers in the Rockaways. More than half of our clients are immigrants and refugees from around the globe. Over 85% of our families are in living in poverty, reflecting the challenges faced by nearly 1.7 million New Yorkers today.
CAMBA’s Atlantic House located in the Brownsville section of Brooklyn serves 200 MICA men. The majority of these clients are diagnosed with mental illness, some dually with chemical addictions.
Position: Intake Specialist
Reports To: Clinical Supervisor
Location: 2402 Atlantic Avenue Brooklyn, NY 11233
What the Intake Specialist Does:
The person filling this position is expected, under general supervision, to:(1 immediately formulate a plan and prepare clients for permanent housing placement; (2) engage individuals requiring social service assistance; (3) interview and evaluate clients, formulate Independent Living Plans and goals locate and refer to appropriate community resources for clients; including the following:
- Conduct initial intake and assessment of clients’ needs within 24 hours of arrival and provide periodic re-assessments.
- Reach out to and engage clients within the facility that are resistant to the intake process to ensure they complete the initial documentation and referral
- Document all client encounters via progress notes using DHS CARES Database and printout notes for client’s paper file.
- Create and maintain client electronic and paper files with initial psychosocial evaluation and update according to regulations.
- Obtain and maintain relevant documentation and release forms from clients (i.e., birth certificate, proof of income, medical documents, release of Personal Health Information, etc.).
- In collaboration with clients, conduct periodic revisions of independent living plans break through barriers to achieving their short and long term goal(s) via regularly scheduled face-to-face contacts/sessions.
- Assist clients in attaining their goals by identifying community resources and by referring clients to appropriate services both within and outside CAMBA (i.e., On-site medical services and psychiatric services, etc.).
Minimum Education/Experience Required:
- Bachelor’s degree (e. g., B.A., B.S.W.) and/or equivalent experience.
- May be required to become First Aid/CPR certified.
- May be required to become certified in overdose prevention.
- Bi-lingual preferred
CAMBA is a City contractor that provides services where employees can be expected to physically interact with members of the public. All CAMBA staff are subject to the City’s October 21, 2021 COVID-19 Vaccine Mandate, whether they have direct involvement with members of the public, or they support others who have direct involvement.
All new hires must provide proof of vaccination against the COVID-19 virus, unless they have been granted a reasonable accommodation for religious or medical reasons. If you are offered employment at CAMBA, this requirement must be met by your date of hire, unless a reasonable accommodation is received and approved by CAMBA.