Who We Are: CAMBA is a community of staff, volunteers, clients, donors, neighbors and partners who work together to build an inclusive New York City, where all children and adults have access to the resources and supports they need to thrive. We take a comprehensive approach by offering more than 160 integrated programs in: Education & Youth Development, Family Support, Job Training & Employment Support Services, Health, Housing, and Legal Services. We reach more than 65,000 individuals and families each year at our 90 locations, including 10,000 youth. CAMBA serves a diverse cross section of New Yorkers from new mothers in Brownsville to job seekers in the Rockaways. More than half of our clients are immigrants and refugees from around the globe. Over 85% of our families are in living in poverty, reflecting the challenges faced by nearly 1.7 million New Yorkers today.
CAMBA’s Opportunity House (COH) is a 62 bed men’s general population shelter funded by New York City Department of Homeless Services located in downtown Brooklyn. COH offers clients a supportive, structured therapeutic, safe, and drug-free facility. Homeless men are provided with comprehensive services to stabilize their condition in order to successfully transition into to permanent and/or supported housing.
Reports To: Assistant Program Manager
Location: 59-65 Prince St, Brooklyn, NY 11201
What the Maintenance Worker Does:
- Clean rooms, hallways, lobbies, lounges, rest rooms, corridors, elevators, stairways, common areas and other work areas.
- Sweep, vacuum, scrub, mop, wax, polish and/or buff floors.
- Make repairs, paint, and perform various tasks to maintain the organization’s physical facilities and clients’ apartments.
- Load, unload, and carry furniture and supplies up stairs and move furniture and supplies as needed.
- Clean exterior grounds, sidewalks and dumpster.
- Fulfill courier/messenger tasks in addition to maintenance tasks.
Minimum Education/Experience Required:
- Sufficient education and technical expertise: to comprehend written and oral instructions (work orders); to accomplish maintenance tasks; and to document accomplished tasks.
Other Requirements :
- Knowledge about, understanding of, and at least one year of experience working with, persons with HIV/AIDS and related issues.
CAMBA is a City contractor that provides services where employees can be expected to physically interact with members of the public. All CAMBA staff are subject to the City’s October 21, 2021 COVID-19 Vaccine Mandate, whether they have direct involvement with members of the public, or they support others who have direct involvement.
All new hires must provide proof of vaccination against the COVID-19 virus, unless they have been granted a reasonable accommodation for religious or medical reasons. If you are offered employment at CAMBA, this requirement must be met by your date of hire, unless a reasonable accommodation is received and approved by CAMBA.