Who We Are: CAMBA is a community of staff, volunteers, clients, donors, neighbors and partners who work together to build an inclusive New York City, where all children and adults have access to the resources and supports they need to thrive. We take a comprehensive approach by offering more than 160 integrated programs in: Education & Youth Development, Family Support, Job Training & Employment Support Services, Health, Housing, and Legal Services. We reach more than 65,000 individuals and families each year at our 90 locations, including 20,000 youth. CAMBA serves a diverse cross section of New Yorkers from new mothers in Brownsville to job seekers in the Rockaways. More than half of our clients are immigrants and refugees from around the globe. Over 85% of our families are in living in poverty, reflecting the challenges faced by nearly 1.7 million New Yorkers today.
CAMBA’s Magnolia House located in the Brownsville section of Brooklyn serves 200 MICA women. The majority of these clients are diagnosed with mental illness, some dually with chemical addictions.
Position: MICA Specialist
Reports To: Clinical Supervisor
Location: 2402 Atlantic Avenue, Brooklyn, NY 11233
What The MICA Specialist Does:
The person filling this position is expected, under general supervision, to: (1) immediately formulate a plan and prepare clients for permanent housing placement; (2) engage individuals requiring social service assistance; (3) interview and evaluate clients, formulate Independent Living Plans and goals; and (4) locate and refer to appropriate community resources for clients; including the following:
- Assist clients in reducing/stopping their alcohol and other drug use by identifying and referring clients to appropriate services both within and outside CAMBA
- Provide individualized counseling on drug and alcohol addiction and related topics such as: behavior, educational progress, family dynamics, mental and physical health, housing, personal finances, substance abuse, mental and/or physical trauma
- Develop and facilitate group counseling sessions on drug and alcohol use and related topics (i.e., psychological education, learning triggers, skill development, maintaining sobriety, etc.).
- Conduct initial intake psychosocial evaluation and assessment of clients’ needs and periodic re-assessments to determine clients alcohol and other drug use
- Create and maintain client electronic and paper files.
- In collaboration with clients, conduct periodic revisions of independent living plans including short-term and long-term client goals.
- Assist clients in attaining their goals by identifying barriers, community resources and by referring clients to appropriate services both within and outside CAMBA (i.e., On-site medical services and psychiatric services, etc.).
- Monitor and document clients’ progress toward their goals via regularly scheduled face-to-face contacts/sessions using DHS CARES Database
- Ensure CARES Database is updated to reflect client request for services (i.e., car fare, appointments, passes, referrals, etc.).
- Follow-up with clients and with referral organizations regarding client contact and progress with referral organization.
Minimum Education/Experience Required:
- Master’s Degree (M.A.) or CASAC required. (A license OR limited permit is required of these Master’s Degrees: Social Work (LMSW or LCSW), Mental Health Counseling (LMHC), Counseling/Guidance, Art Therapy).
- May be required to become First Aid/CPR certified.
- May be required to become certified in overdose prevention.
- Bi-lingual preferred.
CAMBA is a City contractor that provides services where employees can be expected to physically interact with members of the public. All CAMBA staff are subject to the City’s October 21, 2021 COVID-19 Vaccine Mandate, whether they have direct involvement with members of the public, or they support others who have direct involvement.
All new hires must provide proof of vaccination against the COVID-19 virus, unless they have been granted a reasonable accommodation for religious or medical reasons. If you are offered employment at CAMBA, this requirement must be met by your date of hire, unless a reasonable accommodation is received and approved by CAMBA.