Who We Are: CAMBA is a community of staff, volunteers, clients, donors, neighbors and partners who work together to build an inclusive New York City, where all children and adults have access to the resources and supports they need to thrive. We take a comprehensive approach by offering more than 160 integrated programs in: Education & Youth Development, Family Support, Job Training & Employment Support Services, Health, Housing, and Legal Services. We reach more than 65,000 individuals and families each year at our 90 locations, including 10,000 youth. CAMBA serves a diverse cross section of New Yorkers from new mothers in Brownsville to job seekers in the Rockaways. More than half of our clients are immigrants and refugees from around the globe. Over 85% of our families are in living in poverty, reflecting the challenges faced by nearly 1.7 million New Yorkers today.
CAMBA Legal Services, Inc. (CLS) is the legal services arm of CAMBA, Inc. CLS provides free civil legal services to low-income New Yorkers in the areas of consumer law, foreclosure prevention, immigration, housing law, and domestic violence assistance. In addition to providing direct representation and providing legal advice and counsel to thousands of clients, CAMBA attorneys also engage in legislative advocacy, impact litigation in both state and federal court, provide community education and offer expert training on a wide range of issues, services that allow members of our community improve their lives.
Location: 20 Snyder Avenue, Brooklyn, NY 11226
What The Paralegal Does:
- Research the law
- Investigate facts and law of case to determine causes of action/defenses and prepare case accordingly
- Prepare documents to assist attorneys such as subpoenas, letters of advocacy, affidavits, and forms for administrative hearings
- Schedule and represent clients at Fair Hearings
- Provide extensive technical assistance to individuals facing foreclosure
- File motions, briefs, pleadings, legal memos, and appeals with court clerk.
- Follow-up with clients and servicers regarding open issues or negotiations such as, but not limited to, negotiating reinstatements, forbearance, repayment plans, mortgage modifications and/or partial claims
Minimum Education/Experience Required:
- Associate’s Degree (A.A.) and two years applicable experience or Bachelor’s degree (B. A. or B.S.) and/or equivalent experience.
The support staff, law graduates, and staff attorneys at CAMBA Legal Services are unionized with the Association of Legal Aid Attorneys, UAW Local 2325 as the CAMBA Legal Services Workers Union.
CAMBA is a City contractor that provides services where employees can be expected to physically interact with members of the public. All CAMBA staff are subject to the City’s October 21, 2021 COVID-19 Vaccine Mandate, whether they have direct involvement with members of the public, or they support others who have direct involvement.
All new hires must provide proof of vaccination against the COVID-19 virus, unless they have been granted a reasonable accommodation for religious or medical reasons. If you are offered employment at CAMBA, this requirement must be met by your date of hire, unless a reasonable accommodation is received and approved by CAMBA.