Who We Are: CAMBA is a community of staff, volunteers, clients, donors, neighbors and partners who work together to build an inclusive New York City, where all children and adults have access to the resources and supports they need to thrive. We take a comprehensive approach by offering more than 160 integrated programs in: Education & Youth Development, Family Support, Job Training & Employment Support Services, Health, Housing, and Legal Services. We reach more than 65,000 individuals and families each year at our 90 locations, including 10,000 youth. CAMBA serves a diverse cross section of New Yorkers from new mothers in Brownsville to job seekers in the Rockaways. More than half of our clients are immigrants and refugees from around the globe. Over 85% of our families are in living in poverty, reflecting the challenges faced by nearly 1.7 million New Yorkers today.
SafeCare Family Services (SFS) at Flagstone Family Shelter: SafeCare Family Services at Flagstone Family Shelter is an evidence-based, in-home, parenting skills training curriculum for parents who are at risk of, or who have been reported for, child maltreatment and live at the Flagstone Family Shelter in Brooklyn. The program is broken down into 3 curriculum modules. The Parent-Child/Parent-Infant Interactions Module targets risk factors associated with neglect and physical abuse. The Health Module targets risk factors for medical neglect. The Home Safety Module targets risk factors for environmental neglect and unintentional injury. The majority of the curriculum is conducted through home visits to eligible families. SafeCare Family Services takes a structured problem-solving approach and serves clients with at least one child in the home between the ages of 0-5, who can benefit from enhanced parenting skills, have an open case of neglect or a history of neglect, lack resources or social support, are in the Independent Living Program, are participating in a substance abuse treatment program, are receiving mental health care services and/or have demonstrated a lack of supervision and safety.
Position: Parenting Specialist
Reports To: Supervisor II
Locations: 196 Amboy Street, Brooklyn, NY 11212
What The Parenting Specialist Does:
- Assist case managers by being a client liaison with outside organizations regarding such matters as education, healthcare, housing, social services, legal issues, etc.
- Assist clients in attaining their goals by facilitating the SafeCare Parenting Skills curriculum for clients and by making referrals to appropriate services both within and outside CAMBA.
- Coach parents through the SafeCare parenting curriculum with fidelity to the evidence-based model.
- Assist clients in completing all CAMBA intake applications and forms.
- Create and maintain client files and make copies of all client documents.
- Conduct initial and ongoing assessments of clients and clients’ families’ situations and needs.
- Evaluate actual living conditions of clients through home visits.
- Schedule appointments for client with housing case manager and referral organizations.
- In collaboration with the housing case manager(s), work with clients to break through barriers to client goals and to assist clients in advocating for themselves and in moving toward self-sufficiency.
- Contact supervisor of preparers of source documents to resolve questions, inconsistencies, or missing data.
- May escort clients to appointments (educational, medical, social service, etc.).
- May plan, coordinate and facilitate social/peer support events, including group facilitation for clients.
Minimum Education/ Experience Required:
- Bachelor’s Degree (B.A. or B.S.) and/or equivalent experience.
- Must obtain State Central Registry (SCR) clearance, The Register of Substantiated Category One Cases of Abuse or Neglect aka Staff Exclusion List (SEL) clearance and Criminal history information checks via fingerprinting with New York State Division of Criminal Justice Services prior to start of employment.
- Ability to maintain clearances throughout the duration of employment.
Compensation: $35,000 – $38,000 annually
Status: Full-time (35 hours per week)
Benefits: CAMBA offers a comprehensive benefits package including health insurance, dental insurance, 403(b) retirement plan with employer match, paid time off (vacation, personal, and sick time), and paid holidays.
CAMBA is a City contractor that provides services where employees can be expected to physically interact with members of the public. All CAMBA staff are subject to the City’s October 21, 2021 COVID-19 Vaccine Mandate, whether they have direct involvement with members of the public, or they support others who have direct involvement.
All new hires must provide proof of vaccination against the COVID-19 virus, unless they have been granted a reasonable accommodation for religious or medical reasons. If you are offered employment at CAMBA, this requirement must be met by your date of hire, unless a reasonable accommodation is received and approved by CAMBA.