Who We Are: CAMBA is a community of staff, volunteers, clients, donors, neighbors and partners who work together to build an inclusive New York City, where all children and adults have access to the resources and supports they need to thrive. We take a comprehensive approach by offering more than 160 integrated programs in: Education & Youth Development, Family Support, Job Training & Employment Support Services, Health, Housing, and Legal Services. We reach more than 65,000 individuals and families each year at our 90 locations, including 10,000 youth. CAMBA serves a diverse cross section of New Yorkers from new mothers in Brownsville to job seekers in the Rockaways. More than half of our clients are immigrants and refugees from around the globe. Over 85% of our families are in living in poverty, reflecting the challenges faced by nearly 1.7 million New Yorkers today.
CAMBA’s Opioid Overdose Prevention Program seeks to expand access to naloxone, a life-saving medication that reverses opioid-related overdoses, in Crown Heights and Bedford Stuyvesant, communities with high rates of opioid overdose. The program will provide education and dispense naloxone to those at risk of an opioid overdose (including people who use both opioid and non-opioid drugs that could be mixed with fentanyl) and to their families, friends and loved ones.
Position: Health Educator (P/T)
Reports To: Directly: Program Director
Location: 1259 Flatbush Avenue, Brooklyn, NY 11226
What The Health Educator Does:
- Complete NYC DOHMH Training of Dispensers (TOD)
- Maintain professional relationships with clients and client confidentiality.
- Practice Universal Precautions/Standard Protocol & Procedures.
- Comply with any and all Federal, State, City and CAMBA security and privacy polices intended to protect the security and privacy of individually identifiable health information.
- Adhere to public health requirements during in-person activities, such as social distancing and face coverings.
- Conduct outreach activities at locations where drug users congregate.
- Education community members on the use of naloxone in reversing an opioid overdose.
- Dispense naloxone kits to substance users and their families, friends and loved ones.
- Provide all required information for weekly/monthly/quarterly/annual reports.
- Create and maintain documentation of all activities
- Prepare marketing materials for the program.
- May assist clients in completing all CAMBA intake applications and forms.
- May input data into automated database.
Minimum Education/Experience Required:
- High School diploma or G.E.D. and/or equivalent experience.
- Experience with opioid overdose prevention.
- Experience with community outreach and engagement.
- Bi-lingual English/Spanish
- Familiarity with Bedford Stuyvesant and Crown Heights a plus.
- Knowledge of harm reduction principles a plus.
- Experience working in diverse settings.
Compensation: -$20 per hour-
Status: -Part-time (20 hours per week)-