Who We Are: CAMBA is a community of staff, volunteers, clients, donors, neighbors and partners who work together to build an inclusive New York City, where all children and adults have access to the resources and supports they need to thrive. We take a comprehensive approach by offering more than 160 integrated programs in: Education & Youth Development, Family Support, Job Training & Employment Support Services, Health, Housing, and Legal Services. We reach more than 65,000 individuals and families each year at our 90 locations, including 10,000 youth. CAMBA serves a diverse cross section of New Yorkers from new mothers in Brownsville to job seekers in the Rockaways. More than half of our clients are immigrants and refugees from around the globe. Over 85% of our families are in living in poverty, reflecting the challenges faced by nearly 1.7 million New Yorkers today.
CAMBA’s Magnolia House Women’s Shelter is located in the Brownsville section of Brooklyn serves 200 single women at any given time. The majority of these clients are diagnosed with mental illness, some dually with chemical addictions.
Position: Recreation Aide
Reports To: Recreation Coordinator
Location: 1424 Herkimer Street, Brooklyn, NY 11233
What the Recreation Aide Does:
- Assist with the development of recreational program content.
- Organize and lead activities planned to enhance the social development of individual group members.
- Maintain professional relationships with clients and maintain client confidentiality.
- Assist with the teaching of physical education, arts and crafts, performing arts, music, sports, ADL or other recreational activities.
- Help plan, coordinate and facilitate social and/or peer support events for clients.
- Organize, and co-facilitate group community activities.
- Assist with the design and production of aesthetic visuals for public spaces of the shelter which reflect cultural, seasonal and programmatic themes.
- Communicate effectively with clients, CAMBA staff, community members and with funders.
- Track and keep records of equipment and supplies used.
- Ensure that recreation facilities and equipment are used properly.
- Monitor clients’ progress toward their goals (dates achieved) and document via progress notes.
- Market the program in order to recruit clients.
- Provide all required information for weekly/monthly/quarterly/annual reports.
Minimum Education/Experience Required:
- High school diploma or G.E.D. and/or equivalent experience.
CAMBA is a City contractor that provides services where employees can be expected to physically interact with members of the public. All CAMBA staff are subject to the City’s October 21, 2021 COVID-19 Vaccine Mandate, whether they have direct involvement with members of the public, or they support others who have direct involvement.
All new hires must provide proof of vaccination against the COVID-19 virus, unless they have been granted a reasonable accommodation for religious or medical reasons. If you are offered employment at CAMBA, this requirement must be met by your date of hire, unless a reasonable accommodation is received and approved by CAMBA.