Who We Are: CAMBA is a community of staff, volunteers, clients, donors, neighbors and partners who work together to build an inclusive New York City, where all children and adults have access to the resources and supports they need to thrive. We take a comprehensive approach by offering more than 160 integrated programs in: Education & Youth Development, Family Support, Job Training & Employment Support Services, Health, Housing, and Legal Services. We reach more than 65,000 individuals and families each year at our 90 locations, including 10,000 youth. CAMBA serves a diverse cross section of New Yorkers from new mothers in Brownsville to job seekers in the Rockaways. More than half of our clients are immigrants and refugees from around the globe. Over 85% of our families are in living in poverty, reflecting the challenges faced by nearly 1.7 million New Yorkers today.
Via Vyse is a building which was developed and is operated by Dunn Development Corp., a private developer. Via Vyse is a newly constructed residential building located in the East Morrisiana section of New York City. This new construction is approximately 102,000 square foot within a 12-story elevator building located at 1812 Vyse Avenue in The Bronx. The project has 121 residential dwelling units, one of which will be a superintendent’s unit. The unit distribution is 46 studios, with the remainder being one and two bedroom units. CAMBA, Inc. is the on-site services provider at Via Vyse. Sixty one apartments, 51% of the units in the building, will be master leased by CAMBA and will house chronically homeless single adults and families who, the head of households, are diagnosed with chronic health conditions. The remaining 59 units are occupied by community residents, who may require some services.
Position: Recreation Aide/Administrative Assistant
Reports To: Program Manager
Location: 1812 Vyse Avenue Bronx, NY 10460
What The Recreation Aide/Administrative Does:
- Assist with the development of recreational program content.
- Organize and lead activities planned to enhance the social development of individual group members.
- Assist with the teaching of physical education, arts and crafts, performing arts, music, sports, ADL or other recreational activities.
- Help plan, coordinate and facilitate social and/or peer support events for clients.
- Organize, and co-facilitate group community activities.
- Conduct independent life skills workshops to assist tenants achieve goals of self-sufficiency.
- Assist Case Manager in reviewing all documentation establishing tenants’ eligibility for program and make file copies.
- Create and maintain tenant and program files.
- Communicate effectively with clients, CAMBA staff, community members and funders.
- Ensure that recreation facilities and equipment are used properly.
- Provide administrative and clerical support to ensure the smooth operations of all departments.
- Answer and screen incoming telephone calls, direct callers and general voicemail messages to the appropriate personnel.
- Assist non-clerical staff with clerical work (i.e., data collection and data verification).
- Coordinate and schedule meetings, conference calls, prepare agendas, reserve and prepare meeting rooms/facilities.
- Record, type and distribute minutes of meetings.
Minimum Education/Experience Required:
- High school diploma or G.E.D. and/or equivalent experience.
- Obtain “Criminal History Checks” (CHC) fingerprinting through the New York State Office of Mental Health (OMH) and the Justice Center for the Protection of People with Special Needs (Justice System).
- Ability to maintain fingerprint clearance throughout the duration of employment.
- Experience developing and coordinating recreational activities that reinforce a client’s desire to lead a clean/sober/independent life with a non-profit or other organization that services special needs or related populations.
- Flexible hours may be needed occasionally to provide shift coverage until 8 pm.
- Proficient experience using Microsoft Office software and knowledge of databases.
Compensation: $40,000-$45,000 annually
When salary ranges are listed, the range would represent the low and high end for the applicable position & program. The salary offered would be based on various factors unique to each program and candidate. This includes but is not limited to experience, education, budget and/or program size, internal equity, skills and other factors that may be required for the position and organization.
Status: Full-time (35 hours per week)
Benefits: CAMBA offers a comprehensive benefits package including health insurance, dental insurance, 403(b) retirement plan with employer match, paid time off (vacation, personal, and sick time), and paid holidays.
CAMBA is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value a diverse workforce and inclusive workplace. People of color, people with disabilities, and lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people are encouraged to apply. We consider all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, disability, socio-economic status, marital or veteran status, pregnancy status or sexual orientation.