Who We Are: CAMBA is a community of staff, volunteers, clients, donors, neighbors and partners who work together to build an inclusive New York City, where all children and adults have access to the resources and supports they need to thrive. We take a comprehensive approach by offering more than 160 integrated programs in: Education & Youth Development, Family Support, Job Training & Employment Support Services, Health, Housing, and Legal Services. We reach more than 65,000 individuals and families each year at our 90 locations, including 10,000 youth. CAMBA serves a diverse cross section of New Yorkers from new mothers in Brownsville to job seekers in the Rockaways. More than half of our clients are immigrants and refugees from around the globe. Over 85% of our families are in living in poverty, reflecting the challenges faced by nearly 1.7 million New Yorkers today.
Via Vyse is a building which was developed and is operated by Dunn Development Corp., a private developer. Via Vyse is a newly constructed residential building located in the East Morrisiana section of New York City. This new construction is approximately 102,000 square foot within a 12-story elevator building located at 1812 Vyse Avenue in The Bronx. The project has 121 residential dwelling units, one of which will be a superintendent’s unit. The unit distribution is 46 studios, with the remainder being one and two bedroom units. CAMBA, Inc. is the on-site services provider at Via Vyse. Sixty one apartments, 51% of the units in the building, will be master leased by CAMBA and will house chronically homeless single adults and families who, the head of households, are diagnosed with chronic health conditions. The remaining 59 units are occupied by community residents, who may require some services
Position: Recreation Aide/Administrative Assistant
Reports To: Program Manager
Location: 1812 Vyse Avenue Bronx, NY 10460
What The Recreation Aide/Administrative Assistant Does:
- Assist with the development of recreational program content.
- Organize and lead activities planned to enhance the social development of individual group members.
- Assist with the teaching of physical education, arts and crafts, performing arts, music, sports, ADL or other recreational activities.
- Help plan, coordinate and facilitate social and/or peer support events for clients.
- Organize, and co-facilitate group community activities.
- Conduct independent life skills workshops to assist tenants achieve goals of self-sufficiency.
- Assist Case Manager in reviewing all documentation establishing tenants’ eligibility for program and make file copies.
- Create and maintain tenant and program files.
- Communicate effectively with clients, CAMBA staff, community members and funders.
- Provide administrative and clerical support to ensure the smooth operations of all departments.
Minimum Education/Experience Required:
- High school diploma or G.E.D. and/or equivalent experience.
- Obtain “Criminal History Checks” (CHC) fingerprinting through the New York State Office of Mental Health (OMH) and the Justice Center for the Protection of People with Special Needs (Justice System).
- Ability to maintain fingerprint clearance throughout the duration of employment.
- Experience developing and coordinating recreational activities that reinforce a client’s desire to lead a clean/sober/independent life with a non-profit or other organization that services special needs or related populations.
- Flexible hours may be needed occasionally to provide shift coverage until 8 pm.
- Proficient experience using Microsoft Office software and knowledge of databases.