Who We Are: CAMBA is a community of staff, volunteers, clients, donors, neighbors and partners who work together to build an inclusive New York City, where all children and adults have access to the resources and supports they need to thrive. We take a comprehensive approach by offering more than 160 integrated programs in: Education & Youth Development, Family Support, Job Training & Employment Support Services, Health, Housing, and Legal Services. We reach more than 65,000 individuals and families each year at our 90 locations, including 10,000 youth. CAMBA serves a diverse cross section of New Yorkers from new mothers in Brownsville to job seekers in the Rockaways. More than half of our clients are immigrants and refugees from around the globe. Over 85% of our families are in living in poverty, reflecting the challenges faced by nearly 1.7 million New Yorkers today.
CAMBA operates homeless shelters funded by New York City Department of Homeless Services. Each shelter offers clients a supportive, structured therapeutic, safe, and drug-free facility. Homeless (often mentally-ill and substance-abusing) men and women are provided with comprehensive services to stabilize their condition in order to successfully transition into to permanent and/or supported housing. CAMBA’s Rising Up Men’s Shelter is a 141 bed men’s employment shelter located in the Williamsburg section of Brooklyn. This shelter will provide an array of services with a strong focus on connections for residents to achieve stable employment to lead to permanent housing.
Position: Recreation Coordinator
Reports To: Director of Social Services
Location: 39 Ainslie Street, Brooklyn, NY, 11211
What the Recreation Coordinator Does: The Recreation Coordinator under general direction is expected to ensure the supervision of one recreation program staff and services.
- Organize and lead therapeutic/recreational/ADL activities to enhance the social development of individual group members.
- Facilitate and/or teach physical education, arts, music, or drama.
- Plan and organize activities to maximize program contract’s goals and performance targets.
- Plan and organize activities within the facility and the community including volunteers, to maximize the program contract’s goals and performance targets.
- Plan, coordinate and facilitate social/peer support events, including group facilitation for clients.
- Design and produce aesthetic visuals for public spaces of the shelter which reflect cultural, seasonal and programmatic themes.
- Maintain and post a weekly and/or monthly calendar of all client programmatic activities occurring internally and externally.
- Troubleshoot client and direct reporting staff problems and make decisions in accordance with program policies, procedures, and protocols.
- Work with direct reporting staff to improve work performance through client feedback, training, weekly documentation of one-on-one supervision of staff.
- Motivate, coach and counsel direct reporting staff to excel.
- Overcome resistance to change from clients, direct reporting staff, and supervisors/funders.
- Administer constructive discipline to direct reporting staff, as needed.
- Monitor clients’ progress toward their goals and document via progress notes.
Minimum Education/Experience Required:
- Limited permit or Licensed Master’s degree in Creative Art Therapy. (A license is required of these Master’s Degrees: Social Work (LMSW or LCSW), Mental Health Counseling, Counseling/Guidance, Art Therapy).
Compensation: $40,000 – $43,000 annually
Status: Full-time (35 hours per week)
Benefits: CAMBA offers a comprehensive benefits package including health insurance, dental insurance, 403(b) retirement plan with employer match, paid time off (vacation, personal, and sick time), and paid holidays.