Who We Are: CAMBA is a community of staff, volunteers, clients, donors, neighbors and partners who work together to build an inclusive New York City, where all children and adults have access to the resources and supports they need to thrive. We take a comprehensive approach by offering more than 160 integrated programs in: Education & Youth Development, Family Support, Job Training & Employment Support Services, Health, Housing, and Legal Services. We reach more than 65,000 individuals and families each year at our 90 locations, including 10,000 youth. CAMBA serves a diverse cross section of New Yorkers from new mothers in Brownsville to job seekers in the Rockaways. More than half of our clients are immigrants and refugees from around the globe. Over 85% of our families are in living in poverty, reflecting the challenges faced by nearly 1.7 million New Yorkers today.
The Park Slope Shelter for Women serves 100 MICA (mentally ill chemical abusing) women at the Park Slope Armory in Brooklyn.
Position: Recreation Coordinator
Reports To: Director of Social Services
Location: 1402 Eighth Avenue, Brooklyn, NY 11215
What The Recreation Coordinator Does:
- Organize and lead therapeutic/recreational activities to enhance the social development of individual group members.
- Plan and organize social/peer support/ADL events or groups to promote wellness and recovery, including developing skills to improve mental health, physical health, resistance to alcohol and other drug use and self-advocacy.
- Facilitate and/or teach physical education, arts, music, or drama.
- Plan and organize activities to maximize program contract’s goals and performance targets.
- Plan and organize activities within the facility and the community including volunteers, to maximize the program contract’s goals and performance targets.
- Plan, coordinate and facilitate social/peer support events, including group facilitation for clients.
- Design and produce aesthetic visuals for public spaces of the shelter which reflect cultural, seasonal and programmatic themes.
- Maintain and post a weekly and/or monthly calendar of all client programmatic activities occurring internally and externally.
- Input client data using the DHS CARES database, as needed.
- Escort clients, as needed.
- Communicate effectively with clients, direct reporting staff, peers, supervisors, and funders.
- Encourage teamwork among direct reporting staff as well as among peers.
- Troubleshoot client and direct reporting staff problems and make decisions in accordance with program policies, procedures, and protocols.
- Work with direct reporting staff to improve work performance through client feedback, training, weekly documentation of one-on-one supervision of staff.
- Motivate, coach and counsel direct reporting staff to excel.
- Overcome resistance to change from clients, direct reporting staff, and supervisors/funders.
- Administer constructive discipline to direct reporting staff, as needed.
- Manage own time effectively and coordinate program activities to maximize time of direct reporting staff.
- Monitor clients’ progress toward their goals and document via progress notes.
- Lead and participate in administrative and staff meetings as requested.
- Provide all required information for weekly/monthly/quarterly/semester/annual reports to CAMBA management and/or to funders.
- Review and sign timesheets.
- Prepare performance appraisals for direct reporting staff.
Minimum Education/Experience Required:
- Bachelor’s degree (e. g., B.A., B.S.W.) and two years of applicable experience and/or equivalent experience. Licensed Master’s degree in Art Therapy preferred. (A license is required of these Master’s Degrees: Social Work (LMSW or LCSW), Mental Health Counseling, Counseling/Guidance, Art Therapy).
- May be required to become First Aid/CPR certified.
- May be required to become certified in overdose prevention.
- Bi-lingual preferred.
Compensation: $48,000 – $51,000 annually
Status: Full-time (35 hours per week)
Benefits: CAMBA offers a comprehensive benefits package including health insurance, dental insurance, 403(b) retirement plan with employer match, paid time off (vacation, personal, and sick time), and paid holidays.