Who We Are: CAMBA is a community of staff, volunteers, clients, donors, neighbors and partners who work together to build an inclusive New York City, where all children and adults have access to the resources and supports they need to thrive. We take a comprehensive approach by offering more than 160 integrated programs in: Education & Youth Development, Family Support, Job Training & Employment Support Services, Health, Housing, and Legal Services. We reach more than 65,000 individuals and families each year at our 90 locations, including 10,000 youth. CAMBA serves a diverse cross section of New Yorkers from new mothers in Brownsville to job seekers in the Rockaways. More than half of our clients are immigrants and refugees from around the globe. Over 85% of our families are in living in poverty, reflecting the challenges faced by nearly 1.7 million New Yorkers today.
CAMBA’s Evergreen Family Residence is funded by New York City Department of Homeless Services and offers families a supportive, structured therapeutic, safe and drug-free facility. It provides comprehensive case management services to 51 families in a transitional residence program for homeless families. The five story facility has rooms for various sizes, common areas and provides on-site security and socials services to stabilize their conditions in order to successfully transition into permanent housing.
Position: Recreation Aide
Reports To: Recreational Supervisor
Location: 1144 Evergreen Avenue, Bronx, NY, 10472
What The Recreation Aide Does:
The person filling this position is expected, under close supervision, to: (1) assist with the development of recreational program content; (2) organize and lead activities planned to enhance the social development of individual group members; including the following:
- Assist with the teaching of physical education, arts and crafts, performing arts, music, sports, ADL or other recreational activities.
- Help plan, coordinate and facilitate social and/or peer support events for clients.
Organize, and co-facilitate group community activities.
- Assist with the design and production of aesthetic visuals for public spaces of the shelter which reflect cultural, seasonal and programmatic themes.
- Communicate effectively with clients, CAMBA staff, community members and with funders.
- Track and keep records of equipment and supplies used.
- Ensure that recreation facilities and equipment are used properly.
- Monitor clients’ progress toward their goals (dates achieved) and document via progress notes.
- Market the program in order to recruit clients.
- Provide all required information for weekly/monthly/quarterly/annual reports.
- Tasks may be modified, expanded and/or assigned.
Minimum Education/Experience Required:
- High school diploma or G.E.D. and/or equivalent experience
- Must obtain State Central Registry (SCR) clearance, The Register of Substantiated Category One Cases of Abuse or Neglect aka Staff Exclusion List (SEL) clearance and Criminal history information checks via fingerprinting with New York State Division of Criminal Justice Services prior to start of employment.
- Ability to maintain clearances throughout the duration of employment.