Who We Are: CAMBA is a community of staff, volunteers, clients, donors, neighbors and partners who work together to build an inclusive New York City, where all children and adults have access to the resources and supports they need to thrive. We take a comprehensive approach by offering more than 160 integrated programs in: Education & Youth Development, Family Support, Job Training & Employment Support Services, Health, Housing, and Legal Services. We reach more than 65,000 individuals and families each year at our 90 locations, including 10,000 youth. CAMBA serves a diverse cross section of New Yorkers from new mothers in Brownsville to job seekers in the Rockaways. More than half of our clients are immigrants and refugees from around the globe. Over 85% of our families are in living in poverty, reflecting the challenges faced by nearly 1.7 million New Yorkers today.
The Broadway House Women’s Shelter located in the Bushwick section of Brooklyn serves 165 women, approximately 37 of whom are MICA.
Position: Residential Aide
Reports To: Supervisor
Location: 1245 Broadway House Women’s Shelter
What The Residential Aide Does:
The person filling this position is expected to assist clients in the development of daily independent living skills through both individual and group Activities of Daily Living (ADL) sessions, including laundry, meal preparation and clean up, personal hygiene, shopping, and maintaining a schedule of activities. Maintain inventory of food and dry goods and provide clients with an orientation of the facility, services, and personal care items, upon arrival.
- Intervene and diffuse inappropriate client interaction, as necessary.
- Monitor clients’ behavior and report client changes in behavior or personal care to Supervisor and/or appropriate social services staff.
- Ensure that clients receive personal care products and laundry products weekly, and replace any personal care items as needed.
- Sort, count, and bag bed linens, blankets, and towels (may wash, dry and fold).
- Distribute clean bed linens, blankets, pillows, and towels to residents.
- Monitor residents’ use of laundry facilities.
- Strip former residents’ lockers, bags and tags belongings, carry bags to storage area, and store bags for safekeeping.
- Retrieve personal property of former residents upon their return.
- Change and launder bed linens, blankets, and towels and prepare residents’ quarters for new residents.
- Escort clients to appointments as needed.
- Prepare kitchen and dining facilities for mealtimes and clean up after each meal.
- Prepare paper goods, setups and condiments for mealtimes.
- Set up coffee and hot water urns before each meal.
- Prepare and serve sandwiches.
- Collect garbage in bags and remove to appropriate storage location.
- Research clients using the DHS SCIMS computer system.
- Tasks may be modified, expanded and/or assigned over a period of time.
Minimum Education/Experience Required:
- High school diploma or G.E.D. and/or equivalent experience.
- Participate in Department of Health Food Protection 15 hour Course, pass exam and become a certified Food Handler.
- Must obtain Annual PPD Test.
- May be required to become First Aid/CPR certified.
- May be required to become certified in overdose prevention. Bi-lingual preferred
Compensation: $15.30 hourly
Status: Full-time (35 hours per week)
Benefits: CAMBA offers a comprehensive benefits package including health insurance, dental insurance, 403(b) retirement plan with employer match, paid time off (vacation, personal, and sick time), and paid holidays.
CAMBA is a City contractor that provides services where employees can be expected to physically interact with members of the public. All CAMBA staff are subject to the City’s October 21, 2021 COVID-19 Vaccine Mandate, whether they have direct involvement with members of the public, or they support others who have direct involvement.
All new hires must provide proof of vaccination against the COVID-19 virus, unless they have been granted a reasonable accommodation for religious or medical reasons. If you are offered employment at CAMBA, this requirement must be met by your date of hire, unless a reasonable accommodation is received and approved by CAMBA.