Who We Are: CAMBA is a community of staff, volunteers, clients, donors, neighbors and partners who work together to build an inclusive New York City, where all children and adults have access to the resources and supports they need to thrive. We take a comprehensive approach by offering more than 160 integrated programs in: Education & Youth Development, Family Support, Job Training & Employment Support Services, Health, Housing, and Legal Services. We reach more than 65,000 individuals and families each year at our 90 locations, including 10,000 youth. CAMBA serves a diverse cross section of New Yorkers from new mothers in Brownsville to job seekers in the Rockaways. More than half of our clients are immigrants and refugees from around the globe. Over 85% of our families are in living in poverty, reflecting the challenges faced by nearly 1.7 million New Yorkers today.
CAMBA’s General Finance Department is responsible for assuring that the financial policies of the Agency conform to all laws, regulations and CAMBA’s fiscal policies, and that all financial resources are controlled, recorded and reported. The General Finance Department plans, organizes, and monitors the financial activities of the Agency. The department is responsible for the day to day management of all the Agency’s cash services including, but not limited to: Cash Receipts, Accounts Payable, and Account Receivable. This Department prepares the comprehensive combined financial statements and prepares for and oversees the year-end financial audit, the Federal Uniform Guidance Single Audit and all funder required audits
Position: Accountant III (Senior Accountant)
Reports To: Assistant Program Director
Location: 1720 Church Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11226
What The Senior Accountant Does:
- Be knowledgeable and up to date with funder guidelines and general nonprofit accounting guidelines
- Manage and maintain the accounting system for CAMBA’s affiliate companies on a monthly basis.
- Assist in the facilitation of internal audits and preparation for external audits.
- Apply the principles of accounting to prepare, analyze and verify financial information.
- Prepare and analyze financial reports.
- Perform detailed general ledger account analysis and respond to requests from senior management.
- Prepare journal entries for CAMBA and its affiliates as requested.
- Prepare workpapers (analysis of financial activity) for annual audits (i.e., financial, Federal Uniform Guidance Single Audit).
- Prepare financial records for funder audits (i.e. gather relevant documentation, account analysis and workpaper preparation).
- Perform internal audits for closed and current programs.
- Identify opportunities for the finance department to improve its processes.
- Assist in the preparation of responses to follow up on audit reports and findings.
- Assist in the development and implementation of fiscal policies for compliance with funder requirements in order to ensure sound accounting.
- Assist in the monitoring of fiscal related activity to ensure compliance with written policies and procedures.
- Assist in the monitoring of current General Ledger activity.
- Create and maintain audit files (i.e. audit requirements).
- Track progress and status of all funder/internal audits (e.g. scheduling, completion, documents requested, drafting reports, response to finding).
Minimum Education/Experience Required:
- Bachelor’s degree (B.A., B.S.) in Accounting plus four years applicable experience and/or equivalent experience, preferably in non profit
- Experience in not-for-profit accounting, preferably with New York City or New York State funded social service agencies.
- Audit experience is preferred. Good knowledge of GAAP, accounting procedures, audit schedules, and financial reporting requirements.
- Very strong computer skills – Excel and Accounting programs (MIP a plus)
- Must abide by strict ethical standards.
- Must maintain integrity, objectivity, and confidentiality at all times.
- Must avoid personal conflicts of interest.
CAMBA is a City contractor that provides services where employees can be expected to physically interact with members of the public. All CAMBA staff are subject to the City’s October 21, 2021 COVID-19 Vaccine Mandate, whether they have direct involvement with members of the public, or they support others who have direct involvement.
All new hires must provide proof of vaccination against the COVID-19 virus, unless they have been granted a reasonable accommodation for religious or medical reasons. If you are offered employment at CAMBA, this requirement must be met by your date of hire, unless a reasonable accommodation is received and approved by CAMBA.