Who We Are: CAMBA is a community of staff, volunteers, clients, donors, neighbors and partners who work together to build an inclusive New York City, where all children and adults have access to the resources and supports they need to thrive. We take a comprehensive approach by offering more than 160 integrated programs in: Education & Youth Development, Family Support, Job Training & Employment Support Services, Health, Housing, and Legal Services. We reach more than 65,000 individuals and families each year at our 90 locations, including 10,000 youth. CAMBA serves a diverse cross section of New Yorkers from new mothers in Brownsville to job seekers in the Rockaways. More than half of our clients are immigrants and refugees from around the globe. Over 85% of our families are in living in poverty, reflecting the challenges faced by nearly 1.7 million New Yorkers today.
CAMBA Legal Services (CLS) has provided free, high-quality legal representation and advice to New Yorkers facing eviction and foreclosure, fighting high consumer debt, seeking U.S. residency and surviving domestic violence for more than 20 years. CLS uses its diverse resources to offer holistic representation and advice. In particular, the Housing Unit preserves affordable housing for Brooklyn and Staten Island’s low-income communities through representation of low-income individuals and families throughout Brooklyn and Staten Island who are facing threats of eviction, harassment, or issues of habitability. Additionally, the Housing Unit advocates on behalf of clients to retain or attain crucial public benefits that can preserve affordable housing. T
Position: Staff Attorney
Reports to: Program Manager
Location: 56 Bay Street, 5th Floor, Staten Island, NY 10301
What The Staff Attorney Does:
- Provide direct legal representation and advice to the clients of CAMBA Legal Services.
- Litigate cases in housing court, administrative forums, and other state courts on behalf of people facing eviction, and in affirmative cases challenging those who threaten Staten Island residents’ ability to retain affordable housing.
- Regularly appear in court, persuasively advocate for clients, conduct interviews, draft motions, prepare for trial, and negotiate settlements.
- Advise clients of their rights, laws, rulings, and regulations applicable to their case.
Minimum Education/Experience Required:
- Juris Doctorate
- Must be admitted to New York State Bar.
- Knowledge of, and experience in, landlord/tenant law preferred.
- Demonstrated commitment to poverty law and social justice work.
- Excellent analytical, writing, and communication skills; ability to multi-task in fast-paced environment; excellent organizational skills.
- Ability to converse with clients in a language other than English preferred (Haitian/Creole, Arabic, Spanish, Russian, etc.).
The support staff, law graduates, and staff attorneys at CAMBA Legal Services are unionized with the Association of Legal Aid Attorneys, UAW Local 2325 as the CAMBA Legal Services Workers Union.
CAMBA is a City contractor that provides services where employees can be expected to physically interact with members of the public. All CAMBA staff are subject to the City’s October 21, 2021 COVID-19 Vaccine Mandate, whether they have direct involvement with members of the public, or they support others who have direct involvement.
All new hires must provide proof of vaccination against the COVID-19 virus, unless they have been granted a reasonable accommodation for religious or medical reasons. If you are offered employment at CAMBA, this requirement must be met by your date of hire, unless a reasonable accommodation is received and approved by CAMBA.