Who We Are: CAMBA is a community of staff, volunteers, clients, donors, neighbors and partners who work together to build an inclusive New York City, where all children and adults have access to the resources and supports they need to thrive. We take a comprehensive approach by offering more than 160 integrated programs in: Education & Youth Development, Family Support, Job Training & Employment Support Services, Health, Housing, and Legal Services. We reach more than 65,000 individuals and families each year at our 90 locations, including 10,000 youth. CAMBA serves a diverse cross section of New Yorkers from new mothers in Brownsville to job seekers in the Rockaways. More than half of our clients are immigrants and refugees from around the globe. Over 85% of our families are in living in poverty, reflecting the challenges faced by nearly 1.7 million New Yorkers today.
CAMBA’s Brooklyn 3D (Drive Down Diabetes) is a diabetes prevention and home self-management program designed to address the widespread prevalence of diabetes and pre-diabetes in low-income communities of color in Brooklyn. Brooklyn 3D is a multi-faceted program consisting of the following individual, group, and community level components: diabetes self-management education in the home, including personal training sessions; container gardening workshops; and a social marketing campaign.
Position: Temp Nutrition Assistant
Reports To: Supervisor
Location: 1259 Flatbush Ave., Brooklyn, NY 11226
What the Nutrition Assistant Does:
- The temporary Nutrition Assistant will conduct all aspects of the diabetes home self-management component, including enrolling at least 100 clients who will receive the following services: home and/or zoom visits; knowledge assessments; nutritional counseling (including a review of food in the home and coaching on culturally relevant meal preparation); DSME and behavioral counseling.
- Teaching the proper use of monitoring tools, such as the glucometer and blood-pressure monitor.
- Care coordination with medical providers.
- Linkage to resources addressing key determinants of health, such as food insecurity and housing.
- Coordination with the program’s personal trainer and gardening consultant.
- Provide individual services to assist individuals understand the connection of proper nutrition and optimal health.
- Assist the program cook in preparing healthy meals based on clients’ individual nutritional needs.
Minimum Education/Experience Required:
- AA or BA in Nutrition or a related field.
- Experience working with diabetes.
- Certified Diabetes Care and Education Specialist preferred.
- Bilingual in Spanish required.
CAMBA is a City contractor that provides services where employees can be expected to physically interact with members of the public. All CAMBA staff are subject to the City’s October 21, 2021 COVID-19 Vaccine Mandate, whether they have direct involvement with members of the public, or they support others who have direct involvement.
All new hires must provide proof of vaccination against the COVID-19 virus, unless they have been granted a reasonable accommodation for religious or medical reasons. If you are offered employment at CAMBA, this requirement must be met by your date of hire, unless a reasonable accommodation is received and approved by CAMBA.