Who We Are: CAMBA is a community of staff, volunteers, clients, donors, neighbors and partners who work together to build an inclusive New York City, where all children and adults have access to the resources and supports they need to thrive. We take a comprehensive approach by offering more than 160 integrated programs in: Education & Youth Development, Family Support, Job Training & Employment Support Services, Health, Housing, and Legal Services. We reach more than 65,000 individuals and families each year at our 90 locations, including 10,000 youth. CAMBA serves a diverse cross section of New Yorkers from new mothers in Brownsville to job seekers in the Rockaways. More than half of our clients are immigrants and refugees from around the globe. Over 85% of our families are in living in poverty, reflecting the challenges faced by nearly 1.7 million New Yorkers today.
CAMBA EYD Programs operate after-school and summer camp programs in New York City, serving almost 2,400 children in elementary and middle schools. Programs operate during the school year, in the summer, and on most school holidays. Depending on location, we offer environmental, conservation, arts, violence and drug prevention, and music therapy programs with public and private partners.
Reports To: Supervisor II
Location: Brooklyn, NY
What The Tutor Does:
The person filling this position is expected, under close supervision, to provide small group academic assistance to children and/or youth; including the following:
- Assist in ensuring the safety and security of each program participant by following all CAMBA after-school protocols and procedures including but not limited to procedures and protocols regarding safety, supervision, accident and incident reporting.
- Facilitate explicit reading instruction or literacy and supplemental club activities.
- Discuss instructional areas with teachers to coordinate instructional efforts.
- Facilitate students’ use of instructional materials.
- Assist students individually with lesson assignments to present or to reinforce learning concepts.
- Design daily lesson plans to meet core course objectives.
- Assist in managing classrooms and/or small groups effectively to maximize student learning.
- May take daily student attendance.
- May provide students with homework assistance.
- May type and copy instructional materials for distribution.
- May confer with family members on progress of students.
- Tasks may be modified, expanded and/or assigned over time.
Minimum Education/Experience Required:
Bachelor’s degree (as required by funder).
- Must obtain Dept. of Health, Dept. of Education fingerprint clearance; doctor’s note certifying good health; proof of negative results from TB test; Staff Exclusion List (SEL) clearance and State Central Registry (SCR) clearance.
- Ability to maintain State Central Registry (SCR) clearance and fingerprint clearance throughout the duration of employment.
- Ability to adapt to the culture and environment of a public school.
- Experience working with students in urban school and/or community settings.
Compensation: $21.76 hourly
CAMBA is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value a diverse workforce and inclusive workplace. People of color, people with disabilities, and lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people are encouraged to apply. We consider all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, disability, socio-economic status, marital or veteran status, pregnancy status or sexual orientation.