Click here to see our call to action
CAMBA’s Project Accept LGBTQ Youth (Project ALY) promotes acceptance from parents and family members of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer/questioning (LGBTQ) youth. The program helps family members who are struggling with acceptance understand the detrimental effects that disapproval can have on LGBTQ youth. Family acceptance is a proven strategy for decreasing risk of future health or mental health problems among this highly at-risk group:
- Acceptance increases self-esteem and self-worth and decreases risk of future health or mental health problems, including HIV infection and substance abuse.
- Acceptance ‘breaks the silence’ and removes stigma. When parents and family members serve as role models for LGBTQ youth acceptance, they motivate change throughout the community.
Project ALY promotes structural change around acceptance of LGBTQ youth through:
- Teen health and wellness workshops for parents, families, and community members
- Staff development regarding LGBTQ cultural competency and LGBTQ youth acceptance for schools and agencies
- The development and dissemination of role model stories featuring families of LGBTQ youth
- Monthly groups for parents/ family members of LGBTQ youth
To further remove the stigma and motivate change in the community toward acceptance of LGBTQ youth, CAMBA facilitates a social marketing campaign which features positive messaging on Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, Instagram, etc. and printed advertisements on buses and at transportation hubs throughout Brooklyn reaching a viewership of 100,000 people. This program is funded by the NYC Department of Health and Mental Hygiene through a contract with Public Health Solutions.
If you are a Brooklyn LGBTQ youth or an ally of a young person looking for assistance with family communication, or a parent, family member or caregiver living in Brooklyn and struggling to accept your LGBTQ youth, please call us at (718) 675-3372. Or visit our Community Office at 1259 Flatbush Avenue.
You can view the Project ALY brochure here.Learn More Learn More Learn More
1259 Flatbush Avenue
Brooklyn, NY 11226