- Express acceptance if your child comes out as LGBT.
- Encourage your child to speak openly and honestly about who they are.
- Welcome your LGBT child to participate in all family activities.
- Encourage all family members and close friends to respect your LGBT child.
- Believe your LGBT child can have a happy future as an adult.
- Invite your LGBT child’s friends to your home and to family events.
- Work to make your community and faith groups supportive of LGBT people.
- Advocate for your LGBT child when he or she is bullied, harassed, or discriminated against.
- Introduce your LGBT child to affirming organizations and events.
*From the NYC Administration for Children’s Services