NEW YORK CITY NEEDS TO GET YOU COUNTED!
Click Here to Participate in the 2020 Census.
WHAT IS THE CENSUS?
The census counts every person living in the United States
- It only happens every ten years
- It will be completed online this year for the first time
WHAT DOES THE 2020 CENSUS ASK?
- How many people are living in or staying at your home
- Their sex, age, race and ethnicity
- Whether your home is owned or rented
- Your home address
THE 2020 CENSUS DOES NOT ASK:
- Immigration or citizenship status
- Social Security Number
YOUR INFORMATION IS SAFE!
- All responses are confidential, protected by law, and cannot be used against you in any way.
- By law, the Census Bureau cannot share any information with other government agencies, including law enforcement.
WHY IS IT IMPORTANT?
THE CENSUS IMPACTS NEW YORK CITY’S FAIR SHARE OF HUNDREDS OF BILLIONS OF DOLLARS FOR:
- Schools, teachers, supplies, and after-school programs, including for children with special needs and those in low-income households.
- The Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP)
- Adult education, job training programs, including priority services for veterans, foreign born, disabled, and justice-involved New Yorkers.
- Senior center upgrades and programming, including meals.
- Affordable housing assistance (Section 8), maintenance, repairs, and improvements.
- The population count in New York City helps decide the number of seats New York has in Congress.
WHEN YOU RESPOND TO THE CENSUS, YOU SHAPE THE FUTURE OF OUR COMMUNITIES
- In 2010, only 62% of New Yorkers self-responded to the census
- If more New Yorkers respond in 2020, we will see more money for our schools, for health care, and for the programs and services we rely on every day.
When does the census start?
- The Census starts on March 12th
- For the first time, you will be able to complete the census online, by mail, or by phone, in multiple languages.
- Check your mailbox for information from the Census Bureau on how to fill out the form.
- CAMBA will also be attending community events throughout the city to help our neighbors complete the Census
- Every NYC public library branch and many trusted community-based organizations will also provide assistance in filling out the form.
WE ALL COUNT! LET’S ALL GET COUNTED!